V.15 software for RSLogix 500

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfortson

Occupation
Electrician
We have an old L61 Controllogix we are trying to access, but it requires V.15 (15.004, I believe). Rockwell has discontinued it. One of the techs here has it on his computer. Does anyone if it's possible to transfer that firmware from PC to PC, or if there's somewhere I may not be looking on the rockwell sight?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This is the way it used to work
Rockwell has the software locked to a computer hard drive or similar
You move the activation to their cloud
Then reinstall and activate
I used to keep my software in support so could call for tech support.
My system integrator has copies of all the old software in case they had a client like yourself. And they had the special integrator software license.

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
There are 2 parts. If you locate the software to install it on another pc or laptop you will still need the license to use the software, however, you may get lucky; when you try to launch the software the first time, it may say no license found and give you a grace period of 7 days until it expires. if it was a purchased license, you can get the licenses transferred between laptop/PC "legally" as Tom mentioned either online or calling Rockwell.
The software version should still be available. I have this on my laptop.
Are you trying to troubleshoot or modify the PLC code? What is the issue?
1678306624555.png

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We have an old L61 Controllogix we are trying to access, but it requires V.15 (15.004, I believe). Rockwell has discontinued it. One of the techs here has it on his computer. Does anyone if it's possible to transfer that firmware from PC to PC, or if there's somewhere I may not be looking on the rockwell sight?
You can load as many versions of RSLogix5000 on a computer as you want. They all use the same license.

However, you cannot move the license directly from one computer to another. You have to transfer the existing license to their web site and then transfer it back from their web site to the computer you want it on.

As someone mentioned, sometimes it will give you a seven day grace period where it works without a license.

AB has some versions of RSLogix available for download from their web site to customers with a support contract but not all versions are available that way. If it is not there, you can ask tech support for it. I took a look and they currently have the following versions available to download if you have a support contract.

(5) versions of revision 20
(3) versions of 18
(2) versions of 17
(3) versions of 16
(3) versions of 15
(2) versions of 6

If you do not have a valid support contract, I don't think you are allowed to download these kinds of things.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you are looking for RSLogix 500, V15.004, that's the problem. It would be RSLogix 5000!

500 was for the SLCs and MicroLogix PLCs, the ControlLogix and CompactLogix required 5000. You dropped a zero.

Sfortson

Occupation
Electrician
There are 2 parts. If you locate the software to install it on another pc or laptop you will still need the license to use the software, however, you may get lucky; when you try to launch the software the first time, it may say no license found and give you a grace period of 7 days until it expires. if it was a purchased license, you can get the licenses transferred between laptop/PC "legally" as Tom mentioned either online or calling Rockwell.
The software version should still be available. I have this on my laptop.
Are you trying to troubleshoot or modify the PLC code? What is the issue?
View attachment 2564352
I was trying to look at the code to an old wrapper that we were feeding. A tech from the company had the appropriate version on his laptop but no one at my company had one handy

sparkie1

Occupation
Master Electrician
Do you hold a license to Logix5000 or Studio 5000? If you do, you can simply install that version. A word of caution, however, is that generally when you install multiple versions you do it in order, so you might screw the pooch. It might be easier to fire up a VM, install 15 on it, and then have Rockwell transfer your activation over for you for this product, then later get a more amiable solution set up.

Or, just jump in feet first and install 15. You might need them to share version 15 with you, though, as I think Rockwell requires you to have a TechConnect contract to download older versions of the software. But they can send it to you or your distributor can hook you up.

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
I was trying to look at the code to an old wrapper that we were feeding. A tech from the company had the appropriate version on his laptop but no one at my company had one handy
I understand. I could open the offline program file to do screen-shots to assist you (the section of the PLC code you are interested in), sounds like you were trying to troubleshoot it online.

Megabyte

Occupation
Engineer
I'd side with Sparkie1 here. I've had to do a lot of miscellaneous tasks for various OEMs with tons of different versions/platforms within the RA world. What I have done many times is email my local distributer and ask for a trial license. It is easy to get trials for up to 30 days. Once you have the trial license key and product code you can set up a Rockwell Account, add the license, and then request an unlock in the download center. Happy to help you through it if needed.

Macbeth

Occupation
Automation
if you already have a current licence for Studio5000 you can add suport for Legacy software Logix5000 for a few $100. Its not that expensive as an add-on. However, you have to ask for it, you will not find any infomation about it. You will then also be granted special Legacy Downoad Rights.

As as second option, unless using redudency, there is no reason to not up convert to v20. Your service tech should have done that for you.

To convert it you do need the v15 LGX5000 and the V20 LGX5000 on same computer.
open project in V15 change controller properties to V20.
Update Controller firmware with Control Flash..
Download V20 project

Status
Not open for further replies.