VA rating of Electric Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

Is there any chart or table that determine the VA rating of electric motors or should I use NEC tables and multiply the current by voltage?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
It will change with load and applied voltage.

But simply multiplying volts times amps gives you VA. For 3 phase use amps * volts (line-line) * 1.732.

-Jon

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It will change with load and applied voltage.

But simply multiplying volts times amps gives you VA. For 3 phase use amps * volts (line-line) * 1.732.

-Jon
That's why I mentioned nameplate data. That doesn't mean it will necessarily run at that at all times. Loading may be cyclic for some applications.

Electriman

Ok. Thanks. I thought there might be a table similar to NEC 430.250 for VA. I guess I can make it using the formula.

OK.
For single phase you can take the product of nameplate Volts and Amps for input VA.
For three phase you need sqrt(3) times the Volts and Amps.

I’m guessing the motor amperage should be multiplied by the service factor first to get the maximum possible amperage it could possibly see in normal use.... thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I’m guessing the motor amperage should be multiplied by the service factor first to get the maximum possible amperage it could possibly see in normal use.... thoughts on this?
Service factor is not something we come across on this side of the pond. Continuously maximum rated (CMR) is normally what we use. Sometimes, an intermittent short term rating is given for particular applications.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I would use the NEC tables for current (with the appropriate exceptions), then calculate kVA based on the normal formula for single or 3 phase.

It’s not a good idea to use Service Factor continuously. It CAN be done and is often done by machinery OEMs in order to avoid having to buy a larger motor, but just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. The end user is who has to live with the long term consequences because the motors will likely outlast the OEM’s warranty.

I would use the NEC tables for current (with the appropriate exceptions), then calculate kVA based on the normal formula for single or 3 phase.

It’s not a good idea to use Service Factor continuously. It CAN be done and is often done by machinery OEMs in order to avoid having to buy a larger motor, but just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. The end user is who has to live with the long term consequences because the motors will likely outlast the OEM’s warranty.

I’m not saying it should be done either but since it is a tolerance that is allowed to be used and without knowing what the application this information is being applied to I thought it would be safest to assume it might be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.