Value of AFCI for hardwired devices like dishwasher, disposal with EMT

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I'm not 100% certain that dishwashers and disposals do not need AFCI protection per the 2020 NEC code. Are the junction points for these appliances considered "outlets" per the NEC? 210.8 (A) (GFCI) refers to receptacles where 210.12 (A) (AFCI) uses the word "outlets". When you see the definition of an outlet in Art. 100, connections to dishwashers and disposals could be considered outlets. I think they are. I would like others input on this as I would say these appliances need AFCI protection. Dishwashers need GFCI protection per 210.8 (D)/422.5 (A)(7). IMO, if disposals are hard-wired, they would only require AFCI protection.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
When you see the definition of an outlet in Art. 100, connections to dishwashers and disposals could be considered outlets. I think they are. I would like others input on this as
Yeah they are outlets.
But if the dishwasher is cord and plug connected , depending on your state and adopted edition of nec w amendments the plug needs afci . And gfci . It’s also a disconnect for an appliance fasend in place
And if its hard wired the question I have is do they make a gfci breaker that also takes a breaker lockout?

kwired

Electron manager
do they make a gfci breaker that also takes a breaker lockout
I had a need for one on a BR breaker one time and could not find one. The one that is for standard BR breakers is so close to fitting a GFCI/AFC/DF but just doesn't quite work. This was like maybe 5-8 years ago.

I think I once figured Homeline doesn't work with lock attachment either on GFCI/AFCI/DF breakers.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Yeah they are outlets.

And if its hard wired the question I have is do they make a gfci breaker that also takes a breaker lockout?
I have seen a single-pole switch installed next the disposal switch that is left in the up position all the time. This can act as the disconnecting means for servicing the dishwasher.

kwired

Electron manager
I have seen a single-pole switch installed next the disposal switch that is left in the up position all the time. This can act as the disconnecting means for servicing the dishwasher.
it can. many home owners won't really like it

Pretty certain a decorator style switch that isn't clearly marked to indicate off-on positions doesn't fully comply with NEC as a disconnecting means here either.