Vanity Light Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This is power distribution for general sessions, concerts, events, banquets, and trade shows. We mainly step power up and or down depending on the equipment and amperage needed. We normally come out from 480/277 but we also have 120/208 services and at times if we supply power from generators when working with outside events. We also wire in clients equipment to provide them required power and we break down 3/0 into single phase power to provide your 120/208 services. Hope this answers your question!
I was just trying to associate that with looking at a fallen light in a new construction house.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Why this long discussion? Just remove the fixture from the box, put the box back in the hole and this time use longer screws. Re-install the fixture. Patch and paint the sheetrock damage.

In a few weeks you will have forgotten about the whole thing!

-Hal

juant1971

Occupation
Temporary Power Distribution
I did to my surprise not in there
[/QUOTE
Mr. hbiss there are other issues which have been found in this new construction and not only in my home but my neighbors as well. We have issues with lights dimming, boxes not being secured as you can see, cross bars not being grounded. So the list can possibly continue to grow and I am simply just getting suggestions to help my neighbors and I go to the builder with a better understanding. Just to go back a bit the warranty technician working for this electrical contractor isn't even licensed, the supervisor isn't either, and the EC won't even come out to our houses to see the problems we have been finding. So I appreciate your frustration but I am getting some where with this information thank you for your patience sir.

juant1971

Occupation
Temporary Power Distribution
I would go back on the builder as it should still be under warranty.
I am not as concerned for the warranty as to what other issues my neighbors and I could be dealing with. This builder and the mickey mouse electrical company are a joke. I will have to wait 21 days for this issue to be resolved as they finally decided to schedule a visit to come and fix this problem

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
This builder and the mickey mouse electrical company are a joke.
Sometimes I contribute to these type problems if I let price influence my choices (speaking as a customer, not a contractor)
Plumbers, roofers, carpenters, auto mechanics, etc.

Although I must admit that in rural Georgia, paying for better quality does not always result in attaining a better quality job

kwired

Electron manager
It may be because the drain vent is behind it.
don't you love it when they do that? Stub drain pipe out the wall center of vanity, easy to continue straight up to vent it. Can't blame them until they have had to move it a few times, then they should know that there is good chance there will be light outlet center of vanity and maybe they should put any pipe above the vanity away from that vertical centerline.

kwired

Electron manager
Well if it is a development of cookie cutter houses you can expect they cut corners as much as possible, not just electrical but on about anything.

Licensing requirements don't always matter either, inexperienced apprentice can still do things that his supervising journeyman maybe won't catch at times. Maybe someone installed that right before a lunch break, smoke break, end of the day, etc and was careless because of that.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I handled it like this, when I had a pair of baths, with centered vent for sinks on both sides of the wall:

I used a 3" hole saw to make a hole through the center of a piece of 2x4, then cut it into two pieces at the hole. I toe-nailed the two pieces of 2x4 between the studs, with the vent through the hole, and used the mounting screws of two pancake boxes to double as splice plates to join the two halves of the 2x4 back together.

Solid, centered, mounted, and it even impressed the plumber.

kwired

Electron manager
I handled it like this, when I had a pair of baths, with centered vent for sinks on both sides of the wall:

I used a 3" hole saw to make a hole through the center of a piece of 2x4, then cut it into two pieces at the hole. I toe-nailed the two pieces of 2x4 between the studs, with the vent through the hole, and used the mounting screws of two pancake boxes to double as splice plates to join the two halves of the 2x4 back together.

Solid, centered, mounted, and it even impressed the plumber.
I hate pancake boxes, fixture screws (not the ones that attach strap to the box) or center studs, nipples, etc. seem to bottom out in the box about 90+% of the time, and cause even more trouble if your supply cable enters the center KO.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
334.30, a staple every 4.5ft, and 12in. from a box entry. But that is the minimum... a staple every 8 in will certainly cover all your needs :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.