Vauge Home Inspection Report Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

A friend of mine, young E-2, called about an HI report he was trying to fix. It had a few things, j-box without covers, sump pump should be on a dedicated circuit, but then this statement, "install GFCI's in all high hazard areas for safety". Since the kitchen and bathroom were all set, he thought maybe basement. I said the basement should be until he said it was a finished room. So I guess all that's left is an outdoor outlet, I just never saw such a general statement like that before.

growler

A friend of mine, young E-2, called about an HI report he was trying to fix. It had a few things, j-box without covers, sump pump should be on a dedicated circuit, but then this statement, "install GFCI's in all high hazard areas for safety". Since the kitchen and bathroom were all set, he thought maybe basement. I said the basement should be until he said it was a finished room. So I guess all that's left is an outdoor outlet, I just never saw such a general statement like that before.

Even with a finished basement there may be an area where there is HVAC equipment (mechanical room) that would require GFCI protection. Laundry room, garage ?

Even if you don't figure it out I don't know of any high hazard areas around a normal house.

I would just try to find an area where GFCI protection is required and install GFCIs.

GerryB

Even with a finished basement there may be an area where there is HVAC equipment (mechanical room) that would require GFCI protection. Laundry room, garage ?

Even if you don't figure it out I don't know of any high hazard areas around a normal house.

I would just try to find an area where GFCI protection is required and install GFCIs.
Basically what I told him, or have the HO call the HI and ask for specifics.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Unless they were required when the house was built he can't make you install them.
He can only recommend them.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If a "high hazard" area exists within a dwelling unit, then all people should be required to exit immediately and remain out of the house until the hazard has been eliminated.

iwire

Staff member
Unless they were required when the house was built he can't make you install them.
He can only recommend them.

A home inspector cannot make a contractor do anything at all regardless of codes.

The contractor works for the seller and should do whatever the seller wants them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.