Vehicle logos, wraps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Currently i have a box van with the business name, logo, phone and tag line.I need to redo my vehicle's sign to make it more attractive. And am wondering how you guys do your vans/trucks, what do you recommend, any do's or dont's, anyone of you have vehicle wraps and has it paid off for you and any other recommendations are appreciated.

PetrosA

Personally I like big, but simple.

I think the number one thing you'll get from a good vinyl job is a certain status for your company that makes customer relations go smoother. A professionally done truck looks more established than one with a magnetic sign or no sign at all. I did my truck almost two years ago and got maybe one call from it, so it hasn't been effective that way, but it is definitely VERY noticeable. I regularly get beeped at on large four lane highways by people who know me going the other direction ;)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would have to say that I've never hired anyone because of their trucks. People have funny ways of looking at things. Where you see a big fully stocked truck with all the tools as professional, the persons house you drive up in front of just thinks, I'm not paying for him, I'm paying for his truck.

One of the plumbers in town has a bunch of mismatched trucks and the signage is not much to look at, but if you want plumbing done this is the guy to call.

stevenje

I would have to say that I've never hired anyone because of their trucks. People have funny ways of looking at things. Where you see a big fully stocked truck with all the tools as professional, the persons house you drive up in front of just thinks, I'm not paying for him, I'm paying for his truck.

One of the plumbers in town has a bunch of mismatched trucks and the signage is not much to look at, but if you want plumbing done this is the guy to call.

But on the other hand when a guy shows up in your driveway in a "smoke bellowing" station wagon with a couple of beat up aluminum ladders strapped to the roof. It doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence on the upcoming work to be installed. :huh:

Personal references and referrals are what I go on. Just like you, I worked with a plumber that drove a real piece of Cr**
(" fill it up with oil and check the gas") everyday to the job site. He was one of the best plumbers I ever worked with. A true professional.

ceb58

On my first job trailer I had the graphics done with my name and number and all of that stuff. The only thing besides at tax deduction I got from it was a lady called me on the cell to tell me I had a break light out (better her than a cop) and a couple of people wanting free DIY electrical advice in parking lots (not happening).
My next trailer I did not do any of the graphics. I just keep it and my truck clean and go on about my business. If your state requires that you company name be on the vehicle then just keep it neat and simple.

GUNNING

There are all kinds of good stuff out there now. A plumber I know mentioned Illuminated panels. I did notice that anything not parallel to the ground is noticed better. Red is a high attention getting color but you need contrast to it somehow for the lettering to show through. Don't forget the phone number all around. Talk to your sign person. Pick there brains. Find someone whose truck design you like and find the person that did theirs.

Have you considered uniforms and maybe booties for service work? Image is important to branding your company. If you just want work spend money on google.

If you want a dynasty then you are going to have to build one. Its going to take more than a wrapped truck. You are going to have to spend some time on a business plan.

PetrosA

One of the things I don't understand is the fashion for crazy wraps. They might get attention for a few seconds but not long enough to make someone remember the company. There's one company around here that has a picture of a service guy jumping out the back door but I can never remember which it is. Interesting how all the really noticeable and memorable companies have very simple designs on their trucks - UPS, Fedex, POCOs, Comcast, etc.

One thing to keep in mind with red is that ~10% of men are red/green color blind. It's probably fine to use it for bold letters or parts of a logo, but not for smaller lettering and make sure it has a contrasty background.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
When I was checking prices for lettering my van, I was at a vinyl design shop and asked about the wrap verses block lettering. They said the vinyl wraps held up better than just the vinyl block lettering. To top that, a design included in the wrap wasn't much more than just the basic lettering wrap since they charged for the sq. ft. area more than anything else.
I have had (so far) one job from someone seeing the van and got the info from it. I also got flagged over with someone wanting me to give them an estimate on wiring an abandoned building they were considering leasing/buying to open a restaurant in. I didn't put much stock into getting that job because I didn't have a good feeling about it. But the fact that they noticed me made me feel better about money spent on the wrap.

There is so many "handymen" around here I just felt better having a nicely marked truck so at least people would know that I wasn't a "fly-by-night."

cowboyjwc

Staff member
But on the other hand when a guy shows up in your driveway in a "smoke bellowing" station wagon with a couple of beat up aluminum ladders strapped to the roof. It doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence on the upcoming work to be installed. :huh:

Personal references and referrals are what I go on. Just like you, I worked with a plumber that drove a real piece of Cr**
(" fill it up with oil and check the gas") everyday to the job site. He was one of the best plumbers I ever worked with. A true professional.

Well yes I will admit that there is a line there somewhere.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.