Vending Mach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

highline

I have a question I hope someone can answer that has to do with vending machines in break rooms in an industrial plant. Article 422.51 states that vending machines manufactured or remanufactured before Jan. 1, 2005 need GFCI protection. Because 422.1 states the article covers any occupancy and if to be an occupancy there needs to be a building or part of a building where people can live do I need to install GFCI. I can't find a definition for occupancy in the code. I guess the same question would hold for drinking fountains.
Thanks Guys

raider1

Staff member
Because 422.1 states the article covers any occupancy and if to be an occupancy there needs to be a building or part of a building where people can live do I need to install GFCI.

For something to be an "occupancy" does not require that someone live in the building. For example an office building is a "B" occupancy in accordance with the building codes, but nobody lives there.

So to answer your question the vending machines in the breakroom must be GFCI protected as well as the drinking fountains. (2008 NEC for drinking fountains)

Chris

jwelectric

Because 422.1 states the article covers any occupancy and if to be an occupancy there needs to be a building or part of a building where people can live do I need to install GFCI. Thanks Guys

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

I think this is what you are asking about that I have quoted above

MichaelJ

I have a question I hope someone can answer that has to do with vending machines in break rooms in an industrial plant. Article 422.51 states that vending machines manufactured or remanufactured before Jan. 1, 2005 need GFCI protection. Because 422.1 states the article covers any occupancy and if to be an occupancy there needs to be a building or part of a building where people can live do I need to install GFCI. I can't find a definition for occupancy in the code. I guess the same question would hold for drinking fountains.
Thanks Guys

does the code not say on or after Jan 1,2005

C3PO

does the code not say on or after Jan 1,2005

The part he is talking about says that vending machines made or remanufactored before Jan 2005 say be plugged in to a GFCI protected outlet.

Vending machines made after Jan 05 have to have GFCI protection "buit in"

Status
Not open for further replies.