VFD breaker sizing and cable sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cableman

The VFD controls a 300HP motor, 480V, 3 phase. The VFD draws 385Amps. The motor FLA is 357 Amps The designer wishes to protect the VFD with a 400A 100 percent breaker, but he says that the feed from the vfd to the motor has to be 125% of the draw which will get it to 481 Amps and he would need at least 2 sets of 4/0 (and not with one set of 600KCM)

Would appreciate your comments regarding the breaker and cable sizes

BPoindexter

Inactive, Email Never Verified
See Art 430 Section X for VFD requirements. Assuming that the 385A is the input rating of the VFD then the minimum size rating for the disconnecting means is 115% which would mean if the breaker is used as the disconnecting mean you would need a breaker with a minimum 443A so I would say that the 400A is not enough even at 100% rating. As for the feeder to the motor I would personally go with smaller parallel cables for ease of installation. And if 125% if tge FLA is 481A then neither of the conductors specified will suffice. 2 EA 4/0 only gives you 460A and 600 MCM only gets you 420A. Unless you are using 90C terminations for the motor and the VFD is rated 90C- both of which I doubt.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The branch circuit or feeder conductors to the VFD have to be sized at 125% of the rated input of the VFD.

430.122 Conductors ? Minimum Size and Ampacity.
(A) Branch/Feeder Circuit Conductors. Circuit conduc-
tors supplying power conversion equipment included as
part of an adjustable-speed drive system shall have an am-
pacity not less than 125 percent of the rated input current to
the power conversion equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.