VFD Overcurrent Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

We have a AB 1336 480V VFD protecting a motor with a FLA of 11A. We were trying to determine how to set the overload protection of the drive to protect the motor. There is a menu in the drive for setting "overload protection"

Should we set this overload protection value at the exact 11A that the motor is rated for. If the motor has a service factor of 1.15 should we set the overload protection for 12.65A?

philly

I normally start at 125% of the motor FLA per 430.32

O.K. So if the motor has a 1.15 sf or a 40deg rise then set it at 125%. Will this 125% be adequate for protecting motors in all cases?

All other motors it appears that they have to be set at 115%.

I know both of these values are used for safety/protection in the NEC but are they adequate for protecting the life of the motor in most cases>

ron

Every motor is different. I start at 125%. If you are responsible for its operation, then if 125% doesn't make it trip, lower it slowly and retry. Bring it to the point that it does trip, then raise it slightly.

I've found that 1.15sf and 40 deg rise are typical in my applications, and I haven't had any problems with the 125% setting.

Cold Fusion

I know both of these values are used for safety/protection in the NEC but are they adequate for protecting the life of the motor in most cases>
Following is personal opinion and design philosophy. My comments are limited to normal industrial, low voltage, 300hp or less

Overloads don't protect the long term life of a motor - unless you are planning on having a big enough motor to be able to set the overloads at 100% FLA or less. And if you are planning on this, the accountants should be beating you with a nerf bat.:roll:

There are only three things I know of that protect the long term life of a motor.

1. System design to limit motor power required to that available from the motor, keeping the motor inside of mechanical stress/thermal stress parameters. System design includes a stable power source within the motor design parameters.

2. Operational parameters/practices set to keep the motor within mechanical stress/thermal stress parameters. This follows the design theory that a ham-fisted operator can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet.:mad:

3. Keep up the maintenance - bearings, alignment, moisture, dirt, connections, contacts.

Setting the overloads down won't do anything to save the motor. It is going to draw the current it needs, and run as hot as required to dump the heat from the current, to produce the power required by the mechanical design. There is nothing you can do to the overloads to change that.

In fact, setting the overloads down may well cause the motor to fail sooner - I'll go over this one if it causes anyone to say, "Huh - where is that screwball coming from?":confused:

Electrical testing: Megging, PI, DAR, negative sequence monitoring (voltage and current balance) won't make the motor last any longer. It might save a few bucks in the cost of a rewind. It can save money in allowing for a scheduled replacement instead of running to failure.

Vibration monitoring can help in scheduling bearing replacements/alignments prior to motor catastrophic failure.

Alarming/Shutdown protective relaying on voltage/current imbalance can definitely help in larger end of sizes. This is perhaps more true above 200hp (and MV motors)

Some electronic OLs incorporate a motor thermal model that accounts for overload, ambient temp, as well as multiple starts. They are really good units

For SF 1.15, unless there is a reason not to, I tend to set overloads at 140%. Rarely is there a reason not to. I've never seen any evidence that setting the OLs up to the max, shortens the life of a motor.

cf

justdavemamm

There are several different 1336 drives. For a 1336 PLUS I don't see an "Overload Protection" parameter, however there is a start-up menu items called "Set Electronic Overload" and it says:

26. Electronic overload protection is factory set to drive maximum.
A. To properly set the electronic overload protection, program [Overload Amps] (Setup group) to the actual nameplate F.L.A.

B. If the motor speed range is greater than
2:1, program [Overload Mode] to the proper derate.

For the typical steps involved when
programming, refer to step 20.

and in another place in the manual:

[Overload Amps]
This value should be set to the motor nameplate Full
Load Amps (FLA) for 1.15 SF motors. For 1.0 SF
motors the value should be set to 0.9 x nameplate
FLA.

So I'd advise getting a manual for that specific drive vs guessing.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webassets/browse_category.hcst

Cold Fusion

I'd like to hear this explanation.
I've only run into this once where it was severe enough to damage the motor
It's based on:
1. Some machinery is marginal mechanical design, in that: the motor is loaded right up to the max; and operator actions can affect the loading.

2. You can't do anything about the mechanical loading by changing the overloads. Setting the overloads down does not magically drop the motor current. However it can put the overloads where they trip under "normal" operation. Frequent starts add more heat than running up in the service factor.

Factory setting was 125%. It didn't take too many days, and one night, somewhere around the fourth start in an hour, pretty well let the smoke out of the motor.

I set the overloads up to 140% after the motor was changed. Yeah they did that one in as well - but it took a lot longer.:roll:

One of the newer style, curent production electronic overloads, like an AB E3+, would have been a cost effective answer. One can program a thermal motor model and prevent resetting until the motor has cooled. But they were not available then.

No, I don't know why the management was not interested in applying administrative controls.

cf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.