VFD Wire Size and Amp Draw? - Newb Help. Old 5hp Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychbiker

An old powermatic planer I got in April has been sitting and I'm foaming at the mouth to get it wired.

I have a cheap 5hp single phase input VFD from Amazon. I've been researching these for months, changed my mind and was going to build a rotary phase converter but realized my panel is likely not big enough. So, back to wiring this VFD.

I'm powering a 5hp 3 phase planer. Motor states 12.5 amps @ 84% efficiency.

#1) How many amps will this draw from the single phase?

#2) What gauge wire do I need to use from the panel supply AND to the motor from the VFD?

I was going to use 12 gauge wire, put a 15 amp male end on it and use an extension cord that's plugged into my 30 amp dryer outlet. BUT..I don't know the size of the extension cord. It looks 14 gauge. Also, if my motor draws more than 15amps, it wont work anyway.

jumper

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at

Status
Not open for further replies.