Video Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Some time ago I asked about video cameras, got some good suggestions
I have a ring doorbell that works great, it caught a couple of guys on the porch at 10:45, police were called and arrests made.
The ring system is very simple, $3.00 month for one device, $10 for unlimited. A floodlight cam is $250 retail. The video is stored on the cloud, and there is the issue. If I loose my internet connection, I have no recording.
Installation of ring cameras is simple. If I go with a standard POE or LV system then I have run cable and have a DVR.
I think that standard LV or POE cameras with a DVR would be less than the same in ring cameras.
Costco has a 16 camera system with 2 TB DVR for $600...

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
That's (16) $32 cameras and an $88 NVR (or however you want to divvy up the $600). I'm all for good prices, but a $32 camera isn't going to give you much in the way of quality or functionality (features) at all. Same with an NVR. A 1TB HDD all by itself costs about that. When it comes to security, don't go the cheapest route.

My system consists of a bunch of Hikvision cameras (from Hikvision, not the ones you get from Amazon), an Axis camera, and a NUUO NVR [(4) 3TB HDDs configured as a RAID 5, which makes it ~8.4TB]. In night mode, the picture is as clear and bright at the edges as it is at the center -- it
's as good at 2AM as it is at 2PM (except it's B/W at 2AM).​
I can digitally PTZ any of my fixed cameras, which means that utilizing my driveway camera (which also sees my front door), I can have the whole 105° field-of-view in one window while being zoomed in on my walkway and front door in another window at the same time. I can also digitally PTZ on recordings.

While a $600 price tag sounds appealing, you get what you pay for. Does Costco use any of the systems they sell in their own stores?

CIAO!

Ed N.

KyawaComm

I've installed at least a dozen Q-See NVR systems from Costco. For the money, they're great. They are very reliable.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have ring systems.
you are correct, if you loose internet you lose ring recording.
if you lose power you lose video recording on the Costco cameras.
I seldom lose internet without losing power also, so it’s a wash with me.

another option is battery cameras on a cellular network if you want some say is a more reliable system.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
I have ring systems.
you are correct, if you loose internet you lose ring recording.
if you lose power you lose video recording on the Costco cameras.
I seldom lose internet without losing power also, so it’s a wash with me.

That's what UPSs are for. Costco sells a 1350VA for $100

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
That's what UPSs are for. Costco sells a 1350VA for $100

Check out REFURBUPS (http://www.refurbups.com/). They sell replacement batteries, as well as refurbed UPS units of varying capacities. I suspect that most refurbed units weren't really 'broken,' and just needed a new battery.

I've used them for replacement batteries for years. I think I did buy one of their refurbed UPSs, but I can't swear to it right now!

Todd0x1

Great, then what happens after 20 minutes when the $100 UPS goes out...

I took a rackmount APC smartups and made up a fused cable harness to connect a pair of 190ah telco style AGM batteries to it. Keeps my IT infrastructure and surveillance system up for ~24hr. Not exactly UL but it works well. I wouldnt recommend hooking larger batteries to the small throwaway UPSs as those arent designed for long runtimes and can/will burn up.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A thought on CCTV cameras for protection of residential properties.
And a little tail.

Where we lived before moving here, my next door neighbour had his house , front and back, bristling with cameras. What does that tell a potential intruder? I have stuff worth stealing? You can't be watching them 24/7. OK. You have a break and entry at say, 03:00. You and your family are asleep. Sure, you can do a playback later - after the event. Could you identify the intruders? Most likely they would know that there is CCTV and wear full masks.

The tail?
We get our groceries delivered. One nice sunny afternoon, I was sitting in our back garden enjoying a beer as one does. The dog was lying resting at my feet. He reacted instantly to the grocery truck having pulled up outside our front gate. Before the driver had even shut off the engine or got out of his cab. That low growl is unmistakable. Potential intruder. Even at that distance. And at any time, day or night, you can't miss the warning.

Getting a dog was not an entirely frivolous comment.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Check out REFURBUPS (http://www.refurbups.com/). They sell replacement batteries, as well as refurbed UPS units of varying capacities. I suspect that most refurbed units weren't really 'broken,' and just needed a new battery.

I've used them for replacement batteries for years. I think I did buy one of their refurbed UPSs, but I can't swear to it right now!
Yes they are a very good source I have a 1 KVA APC UPS from refurbups

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
On the intrusion panels I install, I use a voice driver card that has a option for 'barking dogs". Sounds more like the dog pound, but the point on a dog is well made.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
On the intrusion panels I install, I use a voice driver card that has a option for 'barking dogs". Sounds more like the dog pound, but the point on a dog is well made.
Thank you kindly, Sir Tom B
I don't mean to make my dog sound like a mean and nasty beast. Actually, he is quite the opposite. As sociable as they come. But immediately aware of any single abnormal noise. That deep throat growl. I can't fault him for that. If it alarms him........you investigate.

Sorry mods - somewhat off topic. Our new house has an electronic intruder alarm too. We just don't yet know how to activate it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Well this mod says its OK. Our last dog, if you came in to the house you were OK. But if you came up the driveway, lots of barking and a bad place to be.

Got to ask here...
how you get into the house without coming up the driveway?

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
And the miserable psychotic mutt that owns me:
Doesn't bark - ever. Which is great - really.
Will nose-poke anybody coming through the door until they pet the dog. Which really pisses off the mailman. Has threatened to use mace if we don't control the viscous dog. Mace? Really?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.