Violations at Lowe's

Status
Not open for further replies.

lady sparks lover

Re: Violations at Lowe's

Originally posted by petersonra:
In the same city, a Walmart still has their demo fans and electric heaters plugged into extension cords. I asked one of the guys about this once and they said it was Ok because it was considered temporary by the building dept.

Different inspector maybe?
Question, why do you think they still make extension cords? For most applications they are illegal. If they are not all illegal, then what can be plugged into them without violation?

Sorry for my ignorance!! :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Violations at Lowe's

What the code says is that such things as extension cords are not to be used as substitutes for permanent wiring methods. Here?s one example:

I have a living room sofa that we sometimes turn sideways in the middle of the room. To get power to a reading lamp, I need to run an extension cord under the sofa (but over the rug). There is no receptacle close enough for the lamp?s own cord to reach. If I were to attempt to establish a permanent wiring method, I would have to have a new circuit run to a new receptacle in the middle of the floor. That is not an option, because the rug covers most of the room. So the extension cord that I do use is not being used as a substitute for permanent wiring.

There are many similar examples that could be cited. That is why extension cords are still legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.