Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I was running a switchleg for an exhaust fan in a house the other day and came across a receptacle in the kitchen cabinet for the microwave. GC stuck his head up and says, "Everything okay with that?" Didn't think to take a picture, but, here's what I observed:

The receptacle had no faceplate. Article 404.9.A

It was wired with #14 off a 20 amp SABC. Articles 210.19.A.1, 210.19.A.3, 210.23.A.2, 240.4.D.3

Small 3/8" or 1/2" hole drilled into top of plastic box where power was taken. (Didn't go through the factory clamp.) Article 110.3.B

Hole in cabinet through wood and sheetrock into KO in box, no bushing or clamp. Article 317

Ground in "supply" box was was just lightly hooked around the grounds that were there. Can't think of which article applies here.

Did I miss anything? Do you agree/disagree?

mcclary's electrical

I was running a switchleg for an exhaust fan in a house the other day and came across a receptacle in the kitchen cabinet for the microwave. GC stuck his head up and says, "Everything okay with that?" Didn't think to take a picture, but, here's what I observed:

It was wired with #14 off a 20 amp SABC. Articles 210.19.A.1, 210.19.A.3, 210.23.A.2, 240.4.D.3

Small 3/8" or 1/2" hole drilled into top of plastic box where power was taken. (Didn't go through the factory clamp.) Article 110.3.B

Hole in cabinet through wood and sheetrock into KO in box, no bushing or clamp. Article 317

Ground in "supply" box was was just lightly hooked around the grounds that were there. Can't think of which article applies here.

I agree with everything, and 250.4 (a) (5) is the violation on the EGC's being lightly hooked

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I agree it needs a cover.

Agreed. Having said that, it is not all that unusual for many electricians to claim this is OK.

Not sure that the cable is required to go through the factory hole. But it does need to have some kind of clamp there.

Cable has to be secured when entering box.

Depends. Might be OK, might not be a proper connection. I am inclined to think your evaluation of it being inadequate is probably correct.

It does not seem like this would be real hard to have done correctly in the first place.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
It does not seem like this would be real hard to have done correctly in the first place.

I learned later on in the day that the install was done by a sub-contractor for the company that sold the appliances in the kitchen. It was the only electrical work that had been done by them. And, not very well as you noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.