Virginia (VA) continuing education class experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
My VA electrician license is up for renewal in the next couple of months and I was thinking it a good time to knock out the required continuing education class for it.
Anyone take one of the online courses provided by the companies on the approved list? http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/dporweb/tra_approved_continuing_edu.pdf

Have any review of the ones taken?

Thanks

Just FYI for any future searches....

I chose an online course from An Apex Education.
It was quick, useless and easy. But it does provide the required credits for Virginia...
$38

brian john

Just FYI for any future searches....

I chose an online course from An Apex Education.
It was quick, useless and easy. But it does provide the required credits for Virginia...
$38

I have completed two separate online courses (for Virginia) but not worth a hoot. Last time I took a class (for Maryland but is good for VA as well) from an instructor that is a member here. EXCELLENT instructor and good presentation of the subject matter.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I have completed two separate online courses (for Virginia) but not worth a hoot. Last time I took a class (for Maryland but is good for VA as well) from an instructor that is a member here. EXCELLENT instructor and good presentation of the subject matter.

Yeah that would have been great. But with my schedule right now an online course was just what I needed even though it was completely useless.

mtfallsmikey

Glad to see DPOR allowing online recerts. I took the classes at our local comm. college this past winter at $125 a crack. Thank goodness my employer reimburses me for them. Most live instructors blast thru the material, some milk it for the entire 3 hrs. The other trade classes are mostly nitpicky code changes, and acceptance of Canadian mfg. standards.

mtfallsmikey

Didn't notice before, Brian...I pass by Leesburg twice a day on my commute back and forth to Mt. Falls.

brian john

You are up by Star Tannery?

I just feel if they are going to require something, make it worthwhile other wise it is just another tax and a unnecessary burden. I am all for longer hours and a more in-depth class.

Last edited:

mtfallsmikey

You are up by Star Tannery?

I just feel if they are going to require something, make it worthwhile other wise it is just another tax and a unnecessary burden. I am all for longer hours and a more in-depth class.

Correct in some aspects, and I'm sure you have seen some really dorky questions asked, things that any journeyman-class person should know. remember, they are recertification classes, not Electricity 101.
What's really scary was some of the questions asked during the gas-fitter's recert class...

BTW, I am close to Star Tannery. Very few know of it's existence, it's like a hillbilly version of Area 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.