voice/video/data

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been installing and maintaining telephone and CATV for some time. We have even done some network installations. However, with the advent of Comcast and Verizon Fios, all of these services are combined in one. Does anyone have any recommendation for where I can get some reference material and how-to manuals, and what testing equipment is available?

Steve:confused:

dereckbc

Staff member
Steve I have Verizon FIOS, and will never go back to CATV or and copper services. I know Verizon offers a few different interfaces, but mine uses the Tellabs ONT-611 ineterface with oprional Standby battery.

The Tellabs unit has
1 10/100 Mbits/s port
4 Standard POTS ports
1 CATV coax port

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tellabs_ONT611_close-up.jpeg

There is really not much to do with them except plug in your 3 cables if using all three services (CATV, INTERNET, & POTS), it is what you do with the ports that dictates what equipment you need.

For example if the home has a router to service more than 1 room, then you need the test equipment to deal with it if you do trouble-shooting, netoworking, commisioning, etc...

The phone is straight forward, all you need is a known good working phone or butt-set to test.

Same for the CATV port, just one known good working TV to connect directly to the dmarc.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would add to that that you would troubleshoot the video or CATV wiring the same as you would an installation fed from a pole drop. The data from the optical terminal just goes to a router same as a DSL modem or Cable modem so you would troubleshoot that the same as always also. The POTS lines are no different than copper run to a NID.

As for the fiber coming into the optical terminal , the terminal itself as well as the battery backups, they belong to the service provider. You are prohibited from touching them other than working on the subscriber side, just like any other NID or demarc.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.