VoIP Intercom Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri_WW

Description:
I am looking for a one-button wall mounted intercom station that will dial the police when pressed. It must be VoIP.

Question(s):
Do I need to specify any other equipment besides the actual intercom station? I assume you plug-in a data cable to the back of the unit and then configure it via the internet. I have very little experience in this area...

Thanks for the help!
Keri :grin::grin:

dbuckley

Perhaps the Tessco Talk-A-Phone - Native VoIP Outoor Emergency Phone might be what you seek?

Be sitting down as you open this link, as you may not like the price...

689502.jpg

(Second hit on google for voip emergency phone)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Do I need to specify any other equipment besides the actual intercom station? I assume you plug-in a data cable to the back of the unit and then configure it via the internet. I have very little experience in this area...

Beats me. Actually I'm surprised something like that exists. The only way I can think of it working is to purchase a SIP trunk and I wouldn't want to rely on that for emergencies. I guess if it is a SIP phone you could use it as an extension on some IP PBXs. Why does it have to be VoIP? More trouble and expense than you want to deal with.

-Hal

Keri_WW

Their existing system is an Extron VoIP system. However, the call station that they typically use is retired and Extron doesn't have an adequate replacement (in their opinion). Thus I have been asked to find a suitable alternative and make sure it is compatible with the existing system.

Thus my dilemma... how do I know if it is compatible? And what else is required besides just the wall station? Other companies will not share compatibility information with their competitors in my experience.

dbuckley

You could just as Tessco if their phone works with an Extron <whatever it is>.

The VoIP standard that most stuff adheres to uses SIP, and that interworks between vendors. Many propriety systems can also communicate using SIP, for example, the Nortel VoIP switch can talk to SIP phones.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would find out more about their VoIP details. We have VoIP phones at work. A regular dumb ethernet switch will not work with them, even a Power Over Ethernet one which is what these phones need. The may use weird protocols and one vendor's phone may not work with the Extron system. I'm not sure if Extron is simple or complicated. Our phones are Cisco. Use Cisco switches, and they will support what is needed. Pick a cheap common one, and no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.