Voltage Drop Between The Meter Main and Feed through Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Was called out for lights flickering. I turned on the Fridge,Washer machine, Microwave, toaster, coffee pot and the lights did not flicker. They told me it just started 3 months ago. I started testing at the Meter main, The garge feed through panel, Panel in the houses and each individual breaker. The A phase was 119 and B was 117.

I was about the go and come back when their issues starts again. Then the Washer machine started agitating. Then the lights started to flicker it got worse with time and I went to check the voltage and it was, A phase 144 B phase 105 fluctuating on the Main breaker in house panel, I went to the Feed Through panel that is feed from the meter main and it was doing the same.
I went back out to the Meter main and the I could not see the voltage difference it was 121/124 a little higher then before.

I hocked up 2- 15 watt bulbs to each phase at the Meter main since I was not sure if I was missing the flickering. I Stood and saw the lights in the house flicker while the outside lights did not.
It was flickering lights on either phase inside.

All the times I ever came out for this type of it was an issue with the POCO but they already came out and tested.

Since the Washer was effecting the Feedthrough Panel on the line side but not the load side of the Meter main. I think I have an issue with the Wire feeding it. Its urd wire and we live in a extremely wet area.

gar

Occupation
EE
191016-1501 EDT

AC\DC:

You have a high resistance somewhere in the neutral after the meter main.

Measure the voltage from meter main neutral to this neutral at other locations to see where the high voltage drop is.

mike_kilroy

How old is the house? Seems like obviously loose Neutral between the two. Sounds like time to take out the big neutral wires at each end, re - NOLOX, and tighten anew. I do not think it is possible the neutral (shield wrapped around 2 feeds) is broken between.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
House is only 10 years old. I was thinking that the neutral might of gotten a nick and slowly corroded over time since it’s direct buried . I looked at the connection did not see anything but I should of physically checked them I’ll swing by and see if that fixes it

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Main is about 50 feet away from house that is feed underground into a feed through panel in the garage that is then feed under the house to the panel for the house.
checked all connections with torque wrench. They were good

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Main is about 50 feet away from house that is feed underground into a feed through panel in the garage that is then feed under the house to the panel for the house.
checked all connections with torque wrench. They were good

Stretch a piece of wire from main panel to the other panel on the neutral. If that fixes your issue it’s that span of neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.