voltage drop for high bay lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Need some advice for someone who doesn't do much commercial work. In a 70 X 100 ft store, we have 20 high bay 160 w fixtures, which do a really nice job.
On one row of 5 lights, we'd like to put on 3 way switch (actually 4 way). But I'm thinking that will affect voltage drop, by adding the 170 feet 12-3 mc between 3 switches. In residential jobs sometimes we use the wireless 3 ways. Thanks !

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Applied voltage is the biggest question, then how much VD you are willing to accept or are allowed

I used 200' #12 to your first fixture, then 20' to each additional. Total VD to the final fixture was 5.3%. Assumed 120 volt 1.33 amp per fixture.
208 volt is 1.8% VD. .77A/ fixture

cadpoint

If most of the cable length would be in a switch loop, then having that switch loop drive the coil of a RIB relay is one option to reduce voltage drop. Could reduce the need for buying more copper.
I'm a box of rocks, why would a RIB change anything about a voltage drop calc?

synchro

Occupation
EE
If most of the cable length would be in a switch loop, then having that switch loop drive the coil of a RIB relay is one option to reduce voltage drop. Could reduce the need for buying more copper.

I see that retirede answered the question concisely, but here's an example:
Say the source and load of a lighting circuit are in relatively close proximity, but there's a switch loop that's hundreds of feet long (perhaps to accommodate several 3 or 4-way switches that are at some distance apart). As a result, there could be a lot of voltage drop if the switch loop conductors carry the full load current. However, contacts in a RIB could could be used to close the circuit between the source and load directly without any of the load current going through the switch loop conductors (they would just need to supply current to the coil of the RIB).

cadpoint

You gave the box dimensions
You forgot the "Z" travel of your circuit runs, it's got to branch and run from some location/with elevation and that's additional footage
is required for a circuit.

Using Southwire on-line and even dropping down to "current at end of run" of 16A.(which I didn't want to put in) Using 225' as a round number I couldn't get under 8 AWG for less than 3%.run. 220' ain't much better.

This is all warlock and witchery. I've ever seem them in play, I even wasted 8 minutes watching that guy with a RIB nice enough
to state the wiring technic but only mention of a switch but not where to employ it!

I'm missing, really missing something here...
Thank you just the same...
🦇

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Think of the way a garage door opener works.
You power the opener at the ceiling, then have a low voltage switch turning on a relay coil built into the opener.

The controller wiring isn't part of the 120v circuit. Thus, distance matters much less than if you switched the 120v power - especially on 250 ft

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Fill in the: ______ (I used)
Voltage:_______(120)
Distance of BC to first fixture. ____________ (150')
Distance between fixtures. ___________ (20')
BC Amp at:
1st jbox _______(6.7)
2nd______(5.3)
3rd_______(4.)
4th_______(2.7)
5th_______(1.3)
CM OF CONDUCTOR
12​
6,530​
6,530​
6,530​
6,530​
6,530​
LENGTH
150.0​
20.0​
20.0​
20.0​
20.0​
AMPS (MOTOR FLA*1.25)
6.7​
5.3​
4.0​
2.7​
1.3​
1 PH VD
3.941​
116.1​
0.420​
115.6​
0.315​
115.3​
0.210​
115.1​
0.105​
115.0​

Using these #s you are already @ 4.2% VD without the switch loop.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I bought this RIB relay RIB01BDC that my supply house recommended but looking on line Functional Devices I'm not sure it is the right one. If it is the right one, I still don't know how to wire it for a 4 way long distance situation. Any help is appreciated. I tried to photo it but it said too big of photo to attach. Thank YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.