voltage drop termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokkerdude

This may not be the right place for this question, please excuse me if it isn't. Thanks. Because of voltage drop and increasing the size of the conductor. I would like to know what is the proper method to terminated a 4/0 THHN conductor to a 100 amp breaker? Sence a 100 amp breaker lug doesn't accept a 4/0 conductor.

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: voltage drop termination

Another popular method is to use a "H" or "C" tap manufactured by Burndy or T&B. use a short piece of # 1 or 2 Awg to connect to breaker then tap to your 4/0 AWG. The down side is the compression tool you have to use.

luke warmwater

POLARIS taps are another option. No taping required. And an allen wrench is all that is needed to make the splice.

Nick

Some problems with the pin adapters is there overall size and they only take you down a conductor size or two which may or may not be enough. A 100A breaker is going to have lugs that are very close together and the outside diameter of the pins won?t allow all three conductors to terminate. They make offset pins but I have not found any that are listed for copper. If they now make them please let me know.

Splicing to a smaller conductor by one of the methods above is probably the way to go.

iwire

Staff member

That's very true Nick when I looked at the burndy site the best I could find was 4/0 to 2/0 for the pin connectors.

It would Depend on whether the 100 amp breaker is 250 volt or 600 volt size. 3/0 will usually fit on a 100 amp 600 volt breaker

templdl

An additional thought. What ever you do check to make sure that the terminal is listed to accept the reducer and there is enough clearance of bending radius after applying the reducer. In a panel the additiolnal space that may be required for these devices may not have been concidered.

Status
Not open for further replies.