voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildman

got 5 single conductor #10 thwn wires in conduit...colors are red,black,white,white,green. distance is 650 feet,one way. voltage is 120v/1-phase...feeding two security lights...each pulling 3.0(three)amps. vd calculator says 4.7 volts dropped or 3.9%....question: should I use one white as the neutral for both hot conductors and keep the other white for a spare or should I use a seperate white neutral for each hot conductor?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: voltage drop

Use one white and create a multi-wire circuit.

To see why, calculate VD and I^2R loss both ways, ((1) multi-wire circuit and (2) two wire circuits) and see which method is more efficient.

Roger

[ November 20, 2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

wildman

thanks roger....correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning......using two neutrals each will read 3.0 amps....3.0 amps on the hot conductor and 3.0 amps on the return (neutral)the vd would be the same on each conductor.....using only one neutral...the unbalance load from the two hot conductors would be zero current...3.0 amps minus 3.0 amps.....zero current equals no vd on the neutral conductor!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Wildman, you are right. I'm stealing the following from Ed MacLaren, due to being lazy and not wanting to type in a lot of numbers. :)

3wire.gif

Thanks Ed

Roger

[ November 20, 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Wildman, you're welcome. Good luck with the project.
icon14.gif

Roger

G

Wouldn't there be even less voltage drop on the neutral if both whites were used in the multi-wire circuit example?

david

Wildman:
The above statement leads me to believe this is an existing pull, or are you the one making this pull? I don?t want to assume you researched this and determined that the black phase and the red phase are not already part of a multi-wire circuit.

earlydean

I think awwt means to parallel the white wires on the return path. And he is right, there would be less VD on the whites in parallel. Is this allowed by code? All conductors are protected to their ampacity by the CB on the branch circuit. Hmmmmm?

eprice

I think hurk meant 310.4 rather than 300.4. I think the intent of that section is to prohibit paralleling conductors smaller than 1/0 unless one of the exceptions apply. As written however, that section doesn't really do what I think it is meant to do. It says conductors 1/0 and larger shall be permitted to be connected in parallel. It doesn't say smaller conductors shall not be permitted to be connected in parallel :D If the code doesn't prohibit it, doesn't that mean it's ok? ;)

G

Originally posted by earlydean:
I think awwt means to parallel the white wires on the return path. <snip>
Exactly right-- parallel. And I'm thowing it out here as a physics issue, not an NEC issue.

G

Originally posted by hurk27:
Huh? :)

300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage.
Where subject to physical damage, conductors shall be adequately protected.
[Edit add to clarify this post. Things are hectic here today and I did not refresh before posting, so I missed the clarification from eprice. Thanks eprice! I'll go read 310.4 now.]

[ November 21, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by awwt: Wouldn't there be even less voltage drop on the neutral if both whites were used in the multi-wire circuit example?
Exactly right-- parallel. And I'm thowing it out here as a physics issue, not an NEC issue.
Speaking only from the perspective of physics, Wayne is right. The same current going through half the resistance will give you half the voltage drop. That improves the voltage at the load by about 25%. That is, it would reduce a 4% VD to about a 3% VD.

earlydean

It appears to me that 310.4 does indeed forbid conductors smaller than #1/0 to be paralleled, as indicated by the exceptions. That said, what would be wrong with paralleling #12s on a switch run to some device, provided the branch circuit is protected to 20 amps? Even if one of the parallel branches were lost, there would be no excessive current on any conductor. One would have to contain all conductors in the same raceway or cable, or at least in close proximity to one another to restrict EMF. Comments?

earlydean

If you can, try to visualize the following schematic:

H____________________________________________H
| |
\___________________________________/
|_____________________________________|
| |
O O
N___|_____________________________________|___N

House Garage

|
\ is a three way switch
|

|
O is a light fixture
|

|___ or __|__ are connections
|

What do you think of the parallel wires under some switching arangements?
This schematic could be used (legally?) for wiring three ways for a light at a garage door, also having a receptacle for the garage, using only 4 wires. Usually, this would require 5 wires, plus ground.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by earlydean:. . . what would be wrong with paralleling #12s on a switch run to some device, provided the branch circuit is protected to 20 amps?
Presuming you are asking why the NEC forbids it, I cannot say for certain. But I?d wonder why you would want to. If a single #12 can handle the load, why put a pair of #12s in parallel? For one thing, you would have to count each of the #12s as a separate current-carrying conductor, so that Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) might come into play.

I think the difference between allowing the paralleling of large conductors versus not allowing the paralleling of small conductors is that the probability of the conductor being accidentally disconnected (i.e., at a point of termination) or cut (e.g., from being struck) is far lower for the larger, heavier, sturdier conductors. Just a guess.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hurk27:
Sorry Awwt it was 310.4 I was refering to. as I was thinking that paralleling of wires smaller than 1/O was not allowed.
I think most of us knew you meant 310.4. :)

In this case awwts suggestion of paralleling the white wires would be a violation, but of course he knew that.

He was just "thowing it out here as a physics issue". :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.