Voltage Step up/Step down Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
seems like everyone has ideas on how to change the set-up. understanding step-up step-down is not ideal and OP has done due diligence, and decision makers said make it so.

Are these standby emergency power or prime units used as the only source of supply for the loads?

If standby, after a power outage, transformers rarely have time to de-saturate before the generator is turned on. Transformer inrush is highly dependent on several factors. Without going into an exposition-Here is some reading material. That said, Generator control systems are much smart than they used to be-and it is highly dependent on the type of engine you get (diesel is assumed) and the electrical characteristics of the generator, coupled with the transformer characteristics.

Personally, I would run the setup (providing specifically the transformer particulars and whether it is a prime application) past the generator MFR (if not already selected, run it past whoever you think would bid) to be sure they understand the operating conditions and the GENSET being supplied can perform as expected from day 1.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Weird I must have accidentally posted and it won't let me edit.. more below:

This isn't meant to pass responsibility but is part of due diligence. All good intentions of very smart and capable members of this forum put aside, The vendor has access to engineers and experts that are far more qualified than anyone on this board to determine if everything is copacetic. It won't cost you a dime to run it by them and it will give you assurances that they understand exactly what you are intending.

I want to stress I'm not saying there is a problem with the set-up, just suggesting that you run it by the genset vendor. It might be as simple as "do nothing", or upsizing the alternator-much cheaper to do before the units are installed.

Best of luck to you!

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This isn't exactly my line, but wires strung on poles with 350 meter spans? That sounds awful far to me, but what do I know? :D
maybe at 115 or 230 kv across the everglades-but 11 kV I would expect to be on a 20-30 ft high pole. no way are you going to span 1200 ft.

Sajid khan

Hi all,

You have to read the question again that has been asked few months ago.. I just want to share information that the setup i described in the question has been successfully commissioned without any complexities.
The questions i asked has been practically answered after successful commissioning.

Thanks GOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occupation
Junior Electrical Engineer
Yes we have done cost analysis of such a setup and its Economical than the low voltage distribution. I will definitely share the numbers once i will join my office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May we see your analysis? It's been 2 months. Seeing this set up more economical will surely feed my curiosity and make me learn things.

Status
Not open for further replies.