voltage surges

Status
Not open for further replies.

gold coast

I have been asked to look into problems at a residence. It is anolder house that has been split into two units. The tennants have been experiencing problems with voltage surges resulting in damaged electronics, TV's, computers, etc. they reported one tv billowing out lots of smoke when it was not even turned on. Also lights surge very bright for brief periods and go back down to normal. I checked all connections at the meter main including meter base (jaws) and all neuteral connections. Then I checked all connections at the sub panel serving the structure and although it is somewhat sloppy and I told the owner we need to replace it I can't find any corrosion or loose neuteral connections. The affected circuits are varied (not just one circuit). The utility company's transformet appears to serve two other homes and they report no problems. The utility co is to be out today to check connections at the weatherhead and install a recording volt meter to monitor incoming line. I'm somewhat stumped at the moment, the tennants report continued lighting surges. Any ideas?????

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: voltage surges

Best guess is intermittent neutral connection between transformer and service. Monitor the current on the GEC to see if it fluctuates.

charlie

My bet is the service drop is a triplex cable that runs through trees and that is the location of an open neutral. :D Please let us know what the electric utility finds.

hurk27

Try turning off all the "B" leg breakers to force an unbalance but turn the main off first (DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE ANYTHING) to prevent any more damage be carfull not to leave any "B" breaker's on. then bring the main back on and check the voltage also make sure that no one touch's anything grounded because the grounds can be at the hot's potential. but as you check the voltage it will be low until you find where the neutral loss is. if this dont work try lifting the water ground again not before you turn off the "B" leg breakers FIRST! then turn off the main before you lift the water ground. Of course if the voltage is low even at the meter then it has to be at the POCO pole.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.