WA Admin Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Yes I saw the correction to the number of years after I posted.
Most electricans who are Masters grandfathered in with no test, which was possilble until July 1, 2005, if you met the requirements.
There have been very few takers of the master electrician exam, last information I have is 3 persons took in first quarter 07, passing score around 90%. Those that take it are well motivated and pass with high scores.
For me the advantage is I purchased the optional display quality master electrician certificate from L&I, and a master electrican sounds better than being an admistrator.

The adminstrator calculations portion of the exam now has 10 questions, it was 7 for a while, at seven questions yuo could not miss more than 2 and pass.

My calculations test was 4 hours on the adminstrator, a tough test.

bullheimer

wawireguy (original poster), hasn't been back since he posted so....

but "optional display certificate"? hmmmmm!:cool:

wawireguy

That because WaWireGuy has been busy surviving.. Still thinking about the admin test. I live in Spokane and the market is really tight right now(need a job) and think that this would give me more opportunities in the future. But, been dealing with life and have to get motivated to take it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
The admin is a great certificate to have. If you are a contractor and you loose your administrator, then you have 90 days to find a replacement. There used to be and probably still are many companies with deceased administrators, I guess they are being renewed by some one in the company.

badjeepr

admin vs. masters

admin vs. masters

Im preparing to take over the family business. Was going to take the masters test assuming it would fulfill the administrators requirements to be a contractor. Is this accurate or do i need to take the admin test specifically? Washington state btw.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not sure there is a separate "masters test." As I understand it, there is one test to become a journeyman. There is a separate test to become an administrator. If you have both of those two licenses, you can combine them and call it a single "masters license."

badjeepr

admin vs. masters

admin vs. masters

ok then.....Is there a seperate test for masters vs. admin.? If already a jw, does passing the admin test qualify you for masters certification?

resistance

It's all about money in my opinion!
I have all three (admins; J-man's, and EC), and it has lost meaning to me--since I know(now) that there is a loop hole.

Washington needs to stop letting any person(s) take the admins. You have too many guys starting companies, but don't have a penny of sense on how to do the job, nor run a company.

Letting anyone get there admins is stupid!!! Heck, the admin doesn't have to be in the field, and can claim he or she has been, and simply accumulate the hours required to take the J-man's test<-----this is one good reason to stop letting anyone take the admins test!!!! :rolleyes:

Letting HO's do their own electrical work is another loop hole. :rolleyes:

It's all about money in my opinion!
I have all three (admins; J-man's, and EC), and it has lost meaning to me--since I know(now) that there is a loop hole.

Washington needs to stop letting any person(s) take the admins. You have too many guys starting companies, but don't have a penny of sense on how to do the job, nor run a company.

Letting anyone get there admins is stupid!!! Heck, the admin doesn't have to be in the field, and can claim he or she has been, and simply accumulate the hours required to take the J-man's test<-----this is one good reason to stop letting anyone take the admins test!!!! :rolleyes:

Letting HO's do their own electrical work is another loop hole. :rolleyes:

This is one of the controversies thats been back and forth. But like someone said, if you 'pass' the test (jw or admin) then you are 'legally' qualified /allowed to do the work . However I think it should be ok for Home owners to do their own work on their own house, so long as they get a H.O. permit and get inspected.

I also would like to add that it was my understanding that after 2005 in order to get the 'masters' license you have to take a 'masters test'. Even though if you have a jw and admin license you can do whatever a master can do, (legally that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.