Walk-in cooler evaporator disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have walk-in cooler evaporator 480V three phase powered from condensing unit outside.

The evaporator is inside walk in cooler and has one disconnect for heater, one disconnect for fans. What Nema ratings are those disconnect usually?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why? How else do coolers get cleaned? Yes they do get nasty.
The evaporators themselves are not built for being in a washdown area.
I typically used standard 4" Sq boxes, RS covers, EMT, and FMC in coolers.

Roger

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
The floor, shelving and walls are what gets nasty. No reason to blast the evaporators hanging from the ceiling.

-Hal
Hey I don’t want to get wrapped up into all the details on what to tell someone what to wash and not to wash. Right wrong or indifferent in my pre retirement years that just they way we treated coolers and freezers as to the way we rated the equipment we installed in them and definitely provided seal offs per 300.7

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hey I don’t want to get wrapped up into all the details on what to tell someone what to wash and not to wash. Right wrong or indifferent in my pre retirement years that just they way we treated coolers and freezers as to the way we rated the equipment we installed in them and definitely provided seal offs per 300.7
We just put a box above the penetration and filled the chase with duct seal, there's no need for a seal off.

Roger

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Have you ever seen what happens to the evaporators when they freeze up? The wiring at both ends inside the covers can get frozen inside an iceberg. That wiring is nothing special, THHWN and wire nuts, push-on terminals, etc. Then the HVACR guys comes and takes the covers and fan motors off and hoses it all down with hot water to melt the ice. The water goes into the condensate pan and out the drain. I guess that's the reason refrigeration guys wrap the back of their wire nuts with tape.

-Hal

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
We just put a box above the penetration and filled the chase with duct seal, there's no need for a seal off.

Roger

Agreed.

Section 300.7(A) addresses the problem of condensation
forming in raceways or sleeves that are subjected to temperature
differences as a result of air circulating through the
raceway from a warmer to a colder section. For example, a
raceway used to supply lighting or branch-circuit conductors
within a walk-in refrigerator or freezer could have condensation
within the raceway. Circulation of air can be prevented
by sealing the raceway with a suitable pliable compound at a
conduit body or junction box, usually installed in the raceway
before it enters the colder section. Special sealing
fittings, such as those used in hazardous (classified) locations,
are not necessary.

-Hal

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
Agreed.

-Hal
Like I said earlier right wrong or indifferent that’s just the way we did things. I am well aware that using a 4 sq and potting compound has the same result we just installed per the Man that signed the pay checks

Status
Not open for further replies.