Walk in cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
The general requirements for GFCI protection of 120 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles is located in 210.8(B).

Chris

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
wALK IN COOLER

wALK IN COOLER

I was on a job today installing lights in a restraint.
the owner asked me if I had time to install a 15amp outlet in a walk in cooker.
I didn't know if it should be GFI or not so I called my shop.
The only one in was my sectary and told her to long on to MIKE HOLT'S code forum
and hopefully for a quick answer. The response I got was look at 210-.8b
I did not have a code book no the job. I consider this a lame answer why not respond
to all post with ITS IN THE CODE BOOK.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only one in was my sectary and told her to long on to MIKE HOLT'S code forum
I did not have a code book no the job. I consider this a lame answer why not respond
I can't tell whether you're ticked off at her or us. I also can't help but wonder why you don't have an NEC at your disposal.

raider1

Staff member

Sorry I didn't now you did not have a code book with you.:roll:

Chris

dbuckley

If it were me, I'd have just installed the GFCI outlet and be out the door, and that would have been instant billable hours, and the poor secreatary wouldn't have had a heart attack.

Dont know if its required or not, but it sure sounds like a sensible idea.

Edited to add

Hmmmm.... I've just noticed in the follow-up post we're now dealing with a walk-in cooker; I hope whatever outlet you install is good for 500F :)

A walk in cooker.... must get me one of those...

Last edited:
I would say most likely they want it for heat tape so it needs to be on a Equipment rated GFCI ( breaker) If its for general purpose, a GFCI would nt hurt given the location even if its not concidered the "kitchen" the inspector probably wuold enforce it

I would say most likely they want it for heat tape so it needs to be on a Equipment rated GFCI ( breaker) If its for general purpose, a GFCI would nt hurt given the location even if its not concidered the "kitchen" the inspector probably wuold enforce it

I do a lot of convenience store work. At a minimum, have always used a gfci receptacle, without ever thinking about a code requirement. Just seemed to be the right thing to do. Good question though, will post if I find a reference.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
walk IN COOLER

walk IN COOLER

17 replies and no one wants to say yes or no. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You have to remember what you find here is opinions. Most often opinions of experienced, trained professionals.
What you have there, is in the book. It's under 90.4 The Code Book can not address every specific issue and is a GUIDE for local authorities that care to adopt it.
Unfortunately "coolers" are not addressed specifically, so you have a judgment call. To me, if the cooler is in the kitchen, "yes", If manufacturer instructions call for it "yes".
Beyond that, I agree with others, if in doubt go the safe route and install one.
Bottom line, this Forum is a valuable source of opinions which may or may not have influence on the local AHJ. It might have been more useful to have her call him.

One-eyed Jack

17 replies and no one wants to say yes or no. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Actually you got your answer in post #5. These guys like to make you look for it. Then when you get the answer it will stick. Give a man a match and he will be warm for a minute. Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ken In NJ

We do alot of walk-in coolers, and if there is a condensation pump installed inside .. we install a GFCI for it .. in a WP box and bubble cover

Status
Not open for further replies.