wall lights in shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

im looking for luminaries that I could install in a shower, homeowner told me today she would put four shower heads in ceiling and there is no space for my regular recessed lights there so the only place left is the walls, Any previos experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The area within the shower would be considered a wet location. Any fixture that is listed for wet locations is suitable for that location.

Many will ask, is it required to be GFCi protected. The answer will be in the installation instructions. Most likely not though.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why would they not be GFI protected
They're certainly allowed to be GFCI protected, but, unless the instructions say otherwise (like some bath fans require in certain locations), they're not required to be, as they're not receptacles.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
four shower heads in ceiling and there is no space for my regular recessed lights there so the only place left is the walls

I instantly think mold/mildew damage when I picture water washing down the sides of a wall mount light eventually getting past the watertight seals and into the wall/stud cavity.

I've never bought a watertight light for a residential application so I can't speak from experience, it's just what popped in my head.:)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I instantly think mold/mildew damage when I picture water washing down the sides of a wall mount light eventually getting past the watertight seals and into the wall/stud cavity.

I've never bought a watertight light for a residential application so I can't speak from experience, it's just what popped in my head.:)
"Always with the negative waves, Moriarity, always with the negative waves!" ~ Donald Sutherland as Oddball in Kelly's Heros

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about some common sense that says you need a place for a light more than you need four shower heads?
If The Three Stooges were doing the work, the shower heads could do double-duty as lights.

2qualified.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.