Wall-Packs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonysolino

I have a situation where I have a series of 277v wall-packs out side of a very large mall where the conduits traverse their way through multiple stores suspended ceilings
these fixtures are not the wired in the daisy chain fashion one set of wires PER conduit. Parallel I believe is the term im searching for

-Problem-
~Wall-Pack number 1~

Characteristics:
-1/2" EMT stubbed out of masonry wall.
- Orange phase conductor - Gray (with green tape 🙃) & a solid Green insulated conductor.)
  1. NO continuity from EMT to Green insulated conductor
  2. Continuity from EMT to Gray (with green tape)
  3. NO continuity from Green insulated conductor to Gray with Green tape
  4. NO continuity from phase to green or gray with Green tape (just incase I had a ballast or incandescent lamp)
~Wall-Pack number 2~

Characteristics:
-1/2" EMT
-Orange phase conductor- Gray-Green solid insulated conductor
  1. Continuity from Gray to EMT
  2. Continuity from green to EMT
  3. continuity from green to gray
  4. NO continuity from phase to N (just incase I had a ballast or incandescent lamp)

any thoughts as to why I might be getting these values? my concern is that the wiring is crossed and and that some how it is tied to the equipment ground and by placing these wall packs in to service I MAY placing current on conduit that given the age of the building probably has loose lock rings and god knows what, the last thing I want to do is start a fire.

PS: being the EGC is bonded to the service entrance WOULD or would you NOT receive continuity on the branch circuit end? electrically speaking you would if I am thinking about this correctly. this is why I am having a hard time trouble shooting this, I have to return in the morning to start opeing junction boxes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.