Wall penetrations for cable (ROX BLOX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a vendor for Rox Blox. (Or a similar system) Rox Blox are a rubber block system that seal around cables when they go through a wall, that is removable. After installed around the cables, the frame is tightened to squish the blocks to seal around the cables. Any info would be greatly appeciated. One could send info to [Please use the PM feature to contact]. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ryan-618 to remove email address.

Last edited by a moderator:

e57

The all seeing google can not find what you have mentioned - however, I have a few opinions on fire penetration products to share.
  1. Most of the designs in this type of industry are knock-offs of Hilti products. Much that in the same way most recessed can designs are knock-offs of Halo products. They design and test a system then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon....
  2. Hilti is one of the most expensive names around... And the knock-off brands are usually of equal quality at 1/2 the price.
  3. Whatever is most available will be the cheapest (as you don't have to look far or pay shipping) and usually most acceptable method as the inspector has most often seen the product before, and doesn't need to see the listing details for the umpteenth thousandth time.
  4. If you ask around - often you'll find that there are other - often cheaper methods of doing what you want to do. For instance, I get the tin man to make me a little cavity to fill with mineral wool, the rockers close it up then I pop a few holes pull cable or pipe through and seal with a putty sausage. - Need to add more or remove some - more putty.... There is also this stuff.
  5. Know the wall rating, and have the design detail sheet in hand for your inspection and posted on the wall for the GC's - nothing is better than the confidence of the right info on hand when you need it.
In my area White Cap/ HD Supply carries all of the knock off stuff....

Last edited:
Aaron Casebeer said:
I am looking for a vendor for Rox Blox. (Or a similar system) Rox Blox are a rubber block system that seal around cables when they go through a wall, that is removable. After installed around the cables, the frame is tightened to squish the blocks to seal around the cables. Any info would be greatly appeciated. One could send info to [Please use the PM feature to contact]. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ryan-618 to remove email address.

http://www.roxtec.com/

I have used this product extensively. I have also used the Nelson barriers and the Crouse Hinds product, but this product surpasses both. It is pressure rated and weather rated so if you looking for an interrior fire barrier, this would be an overkill.

All the pillow, sack, putty type products have a problem with weatherproofing on the long run, sunlight resistance, shrinking, cracking requires patchup maintenance that is really never done until you have a puddle in the electrical room accompanied by a major water short.:grin:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hitli? Never heard they were in this business until now.

This entire product line was for years ONLY available from Nelson FireStop, called the MCT for Multi Cable Transit. http://www.nelsonfirestop.com/
It was developed after WWII for fighting ships to prevent fire propagation through bulkheads along cable insulation. Rox became their only competitor in the late '80s, now it appears that lots of people have jumped on the bandwagon. I preferred the Rox system because it used the peel-and-stick layer method to create the correct opening size for your cable. Nelson required that you buy a pre-made block that had the correct size hole to start with, meaning you had to have lots and lots of blocks on hand for a project.

In general though, these systems are a little overkill for most building applications. The only time they should be considered (IMHO) is when you will be changing, adding or removing cables though walls on a semi-regular basis. If it's a one-time penetration, the putty is a lot easier to use. The other time to consider using MCT type systems is when one side of the wall is pressurized or otherwise sealed, such as clean rooms or sanitary facilities where pressurized wash down of the walls is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.