Wall space and receptacle outlets SRF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Would you consider a 14' wall in a living room to be "wall space" per 210.52 if the wall was planned to be a built in book shelf?

Some would argue that a floor receptacles would be required, others would argue that 210.52(A)(2)(1) would exclude it because of "similar openings"

Since a book case is not an opening, one could argue that 210.52(A)(2)(1) does not apply.

What has been your experience?

ctmike

I normaly consider it wall space and space outlets acording to the layout of the bookcase There allways seems to be a need to plug in a clock a radio other misc. items or should the bookcases be removed the outlets would be in place

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This has come up before. IMO a book case is not a wall so the requirements for walls do not apply. If it did then the NEC should say the words walls and/or bookcases in the requirement.

ctmike

This has come up before. IMO a book case is not a wall so the requirements for walls do not apply. If it did then the NEC should say the words walls and/or bookcases in the requirement.

I agree that it wouldnt be required but it is nice to have.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It has always been accepted here that the bookcase is wall space. I tend to agree. I usually install the receptacles in the toe space of the cabinets or book shelves.

If the entire room had built in units I cannot imagine the entire room without a receptacle. In that vain I say Yes, it is required.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Washington State is scheduled to adopt the 2008 NEC, with its own amendments, at the end of the year. The amendments (a draft version of which has been published) address this issue. They say that a built-in bookcase is not a wall space. But they also say that any receptacles that are eliminated (i.e., because the bookcase has taken the place of a wall) must be installed somewhere else in the room.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It has always been accepted here that the bookcase is wall space.
It has been debated here, but I would not agree that one side or the other has been "accepted here." My view has been that a bookcase is not a wall. Very soon, as I mention in the previous post, I am not going to have to worry about the question. :smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It has been debated here, but I would not agree that one side or the other has been "accepted here." My view has been that a bookcase is not a wall. Very soon, as I mention in the previous post, I am not going to have to worry about the question. :smile:

Well, you will find out soon then. :smile: You must not be in Washington-- its not even 4 am. Happy T-day

iwire

Staff member
It has been debated here, but I would not agree that one side or the other has been "accepted here." My view has been that a bookcase is not a wall.

My view is a bookcase bought at the store and placed in front of the wall is just a bookcase.

On the other hand if the prints for the job show the carpenters building bookcases in place, over otherwise unfinished walls then they are wall space.

To me at that point the built in bookcases are no different then Wainscoting

ivsenroute

My view is a bookcase bought at the store and placed in front of the wall is just a bookcase.

On the other hand if the prints for the job show the carpenters building bookcases in place, over otherwise unfinished walls then they are wall space.

To me at that point the built in bookcases are no different then Wainscoting

So either way you install receptacles?

M. D.

Bob , do you have the same opinion of cabinets that take the place or occupy the space in front of walls as well ???

Status
Not open for further replies.