wall switch location w/ french doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
A question about the location for a wall switch (for overhead lights), in a room with inward-opening French exterior doors ... I don't believe it's a code issue, just convenience, but I've never dealt with this situation before. Doors open inwards - as you walk in from outside, the right-hand one is the "primary" (the other CAN be opened, but is fixed normally). Seems like two options are to put it in the normal location, but next to the normally-fixed door (so a couple feet to person's left as they enter), or put it to the right of the primary door, but beyond the swing of the door. (Of course there will be another switch inside the entrance from the rest of the house).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Bob. Put the switch where the customer wants it and there should be no problem. I usually put it on the wall opposite the normally operable door- in other words, next to the stationary door

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
Like I said, I know it's not a code issue, but customer isn't sure and wanted me to advise, and I wasn't sure either. Next to the stationary door makes sense to me though. Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
In addition to the conventional switch near the door, add an occupancy sensor for which the aim includes the door itself. That way, the lights will come on as a person enters the house from that door.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In addition to the conventional switch near the door, add an occupancy sensor for which the aim includes the door itself. That way, the lights will come on as a person enters the house from that door.
Then when you sit down to read the lights go off on you. :thumbsdown: :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You can set up an OS that has no function other than to turn on the lights. You can keep the "lights off feature" as a manual-only control. Of course, you will have invited at least one line-voltage relay to the party, and perhaps a different type of swith on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.