wall switch near a shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If there were such a rule, and it was about being NEAR water, how would you explain garbage disposal switches being right above a sink?

TJQH7mC.jpg

There is no NEC rule, although you can't be stupid about it.

This one is my favorite, it's my Niece's former house in San Jose, built in 1900.
Alicias shower.jpg
I think that when it was built, there was no electricity brought into it, there are gas pipes for wall sconces all over. Her husband inherited this house from an Uncle who lived alone in it for 70 years, so we don't know when the switch was put in. After they took ownership and moved in, I traced the wires for this and disconnected them, then put another switch on the other side of the wall in the hallway. But I told her to get a tile guy in to remove that old switch and box, then tile over the hole. She never did because they decided to sell the house. The buyers hired a Home Inspector, who never said a word about the switch in the shower...

jstjohnz

If there were such a rule, and it was about being NEAR water, how would you explain garbage disposal switches being right above a sink?

View attachment 17961

There is no NEC rule, although you can't be stupid about it.

This one is my favorite, it's my Niece's former house in San Jose, built in 1900.
View attachment 17962
I think that when it was built, there was no electricity brought into it, there are gas pipes for wall sconces all over. Her husband inherited this house from an Uncle who lived alone in it for 70 years, so we don't know when the switch was put in. After they took ownership and moved in, I traced the wires for this and disconnected them, then put another switch on the other side of the wall in the hallway. But I told her to get a tile guy in to remove that old switch and box, then tile over the hole. She never did because they decided to sell the house. The buyers hired a Home Inspector, who never said a word about the switch in the shower...

Looks like it's outside of the vertical plane of the shower curtain rod<g>.

Status
Not open for further replies.