wall switch near a shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Is there a restriction on a wall switch location near a shower? Can a person be able to reach a wall switch while being in a shower? Once, an inspector told me there was a '5 foot rule' and made me move the switch 5 feet away from the shower opening after the house was finished. However, since then, I've not found a NEC rule. Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no lateral measurement of 5' or any other dimension for that matter in the NEC. If you draw a vertical line at the edge of the shower the switch just needs to be outside of that line.

publicgood

Is there a restriction on a wall switch location near a shower? Can a person be able to reach a wall switch while being in a shower? Once, an inspector told me there was a '5 foot rule' and made me move the switch 5 feet away from the shower opening after the house was finished. However, since then, I've not found a NEC rule. Thank you.

There may not be a rule, but the NEC is minimum. The AHJ would be prudent to preclude such an installation.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
As stated earlier it is not required per NEC.

May I suggest to ALWAYS ask the inspector for a code reference and it is OK to debate with inspectors.

publicgood

What is prudent about an AHJ precluding an installation based on nothing besides superstition or some other irrational reasoning?

For the same reasons the code uses a 6FT measurement for GFCI receptacles. Yes, the application is different (cord-and-plug vs enclosed cover plate), but the reasoning is similar. At just 10mA we have possibilities beyond a simple shock. Why in good conscious would someone install a light switch within reach of the shower?

Having said that, I agree designs don't always have bathrooms of size and avoiding this instance isn't possible. I also recognize there are vanity light fixtures adjacent to showers.

user 100

I've never seen an electron yet that could energize the plastic handle of a light switch.

The only risk, and a miniscule risk at that, is if a metal fp/ metal screws get energized somehow, and the ocpd doesn't open before someone touches it.

If someone is that paranoid, they can use nm fp's and screws.

Hand him a bucket of water to splash at it and see if we can find a first.

If enough water is hitting that switch to saturate it, there are bigger problems going. Even if the switch was sopping wet, I doubt someone would get hit.

But lets compromise and propose putting the light on gfci- gfci trips, shower taker is in dark, slips, busts head on edge of tub.....

or the gfci fails completely (has happened), and ocpd still hasn't opened either, in the event of this energized faceplate screw mentioned above.....

what if, what if, what if.........

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There may not be a rule, but the NEC is minimum. The AHJ would be prudent to preclude such an installation.

For the same reasons the code uses a 6FT measurement for GFCI receptacles. Yes, the application is different (cord-and-plug vs enclosed cover plate), but the reasoning is similar. At just 10mA we have possibilities beyond a simple shock. Why in good conscious would someone install a light switch within reach of the shower?

Sounds like you're one of the "what if" crowd. You could play that game all day long.

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his rear every time he jumped!;)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
But lets compromise and propose putting the light on gfci- gfci trips, shower taker is in dark, slips, busts head on edge of tub.....

or the gfci fails completely (has happened), and ocpd still hasn't opened either,

what if, what if, what if.........
I'm not even willing to compromise that. If there were a reasonable chance that a plastic light switch could shock someone I would be all for keeping them out of bathrooms, basements, garages, outdoors, locker rooms, storage sheds....

Don't make rules based on irrational reasoning. It makes the world a better place.

publicgood

I'm not even willing to compromise that. If there were a reasonable chance that a plastic light switch could shock someone I would be all for keeping them out of bathrooms, basements, garages, outdoors, locker rooms, storage sheds....

Don't make rules based on irrational reasoning. It makes the world a better place.

Good discussion, Actiondave.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
The only risk, and a miniscule risk at that, is if a metal fp/ metal screws get energized somehow, and the ocpd doesn't open before someone touches it.

The metal screws should be grounded because they're in contact with the metal yoke of the switch which has a ground screw where the ground wire attaches to. The time between energizing and the ocpd opening would be very low, like fractions of a second.

Besides, what if you're in the shower already and you realize that you don't have enough light to see your armpits? :D

user 100

The metal screws should be grounded because they're in contact with the metal yoke of the switch which has a ground screw where the ground wire attaches to. The time between energizing and the ocpd opening would be very low, like fractions of a second.

For sure the breaker would trip instantly due to egc /bonded screws- in my example, the ocpd would have failed to open due to the fault, which again, is such a small risk, its not even worth being worried about- as I alluded to earlier, just a pointless "what if". It was just the about the only risk that was even remotely plausible when it came to a light sw next to a shower. Though, in the ex mentioned, within minutes the shower taker would likely know there is a problem even if he doesn't touch the sw.:D

I think the code is fine as is .......no more venturing off into design territory.

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Hand him a bucket of water to splash at it and see if we can find a first.

Why would someone splash a bucket of water on to a wall switch. :?:?

There is absolutely no issues by having a switch right next to the shower.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Yep, switch just outside the vertical wall of the shower. In my own home, I have it placed in the 6" between the door casing and the shower wall. No water splashing on it issues in 20 years. I sleep well.:D

It is OK to ask the inspector for code reference, especially when there is lots of work to redo an installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.