Want to become a licensed electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

allcoopdup

I'm 23 and I have been working in event lighting and electrical (apprentice) for 3 years. We set up, and break down all lighting and electrical for red carpet events, movie premiers etc.

I want to go to school to become a licensed electrician and I live in Los Angeles. Can anyone recommend a school and how long does it take?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'm about as far away from Cali as you can get and still be in this country, and things are probably as far from being the same up here than down there, but just in case...

You can get hired as an apprentice. There are a certain number of hours your state will require to work as an apprentice. At some point during your apprenticeship you will need to attend a class that teaches you about the code and how to find things in the code book. Then you take a test.

There are some schools available that teach you from beginning to end how to be an electrician, but I believe you'll still need to be an apprentice and gather real world experience before you'll be able to get a license.

Your mileage may vary...widely.

knoppdude

Going to school alone won't make you an electrician, but it is one of the components of being an electrician. Southern California has several junior college programs for electrical technology. Chaffee JC is one, and I think there is at least one more in Los Angeles. Talk to the instructors there, they can give you some guidance. In addition, California requires 8000 hrs of on the job experience, which you can get working for a licensed c10 contractor. Also, look into one of the electrical apprenticeships in your area. These are a great way to break into the trade, as they offer both components. Talk to the training directors, they can also give advice. If this is what you really want to do, there is more than one way to enter the trade. Good luck.

Nium

Local government where you plan to work

Local government where you plan to work

Check in with city hall and see what the requirements are to be a licensed electrician or to work as an electrical contractor in your area. The local government is the entity that will be granting licenses so they are the people to talk to. Check out the local government's website for same or talk to someone in zoning and they should be able to point out where to look on the web for the requirements that you need to satisfy.

FYI there is no national license and an electrical license from one state will not necessarily be honored by another, in some states (PA for example) licenses aren't even honored between cities.

Merry Christmas and best of luck

ivsenroute

You can simply move to a state that does not have a licensing requirement and buy business cards calling yourself a master electrician. Most of the municipalities in these states only require proof of insurance to get a "license" and securing insurance as an electrician is very easy.

You can then learn at your own pace and rely on calling your local inspector to answer questions before you bid and/or start jobs.

Some states have areas that have not even adopted any codes so you will be able to do whatever it is you want.

This is all food for thought. There is the easy way and there is the hard way. What kind of person are you?

jrannis

I'm 23 and I have been working in event lighting and electrical (apprentice) for 3 years. We set up, and break down all lighting and electrical for red carpet events, movie premiers etc.

I want to go to school to become a licensed electrician and I live in Los Angeles. Can anyone recommend a school and how long does it take?

Our trade requires that you have several years of field experience along with a bit of schooling to pass what is usually a locally administered government sanctioned exam.
Do not get suckered into a "for profit" school program that is going to give you a certificate and hand you a "student loan" bill for 30 grand.

I personally choose the IBEW sponsored JATC program for my formal training.
I spent time in the ABC program, left it and chose to extend my training an extra year to complete the JATC training.

Try to understand what Mike Holt provides by looking around on his site.

There is no really quick and easy way to properly learn this trade but, there are many facets to our work and a place for everyone who is mechanically inclined and dedicated to safety and knowledge.

CopperTone

try google - electrical apprentice los angeles, ca
here is what I found
http://www.calapprenticeship.org/Electrician.htm

Dolfan

You can simply move to a state that does not have a licensing requirement and buy business cards calling yourself a master electrician. Most of the municipalities in these states only require proof of insurance to get a "license" and securing insurance as an electrician is very easy.

You can then learn at your own pace and rely on calling your local inspector to answer questions before you bid and/or start jobs.

Some states have areas that have not even adopted any codes so you will be able to do whatever it is you want.

This is all food for thought. There is the easy way and there is the hard way. What kind of person are you?

Would you give your son that advice?

dmagyar

Local 11 IBEW

Local 11 IBEW

Contact IBEW local 11 in Los Angeles, they'll put you in touch with the JATC (Joint Apprentice Training Center). It's a great program, they've got schools in several locations down there. You can't get better training and the facilities are all top notch.

wireguru

Check in with city hall and see what the requirements are to be a licensed electrician or to work as an electrical contractor in your area. The local government is the entity that will be granting licenses so they are the people to talk to. Check out the local government's website for same or talk to someone in zoning and they should be able to point out where to look on the web for the requirements that you need to satisfy.

FYI there is no national license and an electrical license from one state will not necessarily be honored by another, in some states (PA for example) licenses aren't even honored between cities.

Merry Christmas and best of luck

here in california licensing is handled by the state.

RH1

There is a very good vocational school in Los Angeles that offers electrician courses, in fact I hire their graduates, PM me and I'll give you the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.