Warehouse Lighting

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If a warehouse has several rows of lights, all are around 20' up, where would you place occupancy sensors for each row, or couple of rows?
Voltage is either 120V or 208V.
Should the line voltage be used at the OC, or should contactors be used?
Would any additional OC be needed besides one at each end of the row?
What type sensor should be used?
Should the OC be placed up high, or low?

Management just wants lights to be off if no one is working in a particular isle.
Also would like to know if there is any OSHA violation in having lights off in a warehouse if workers are present?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I just installed a combination security light and camera over my garage. The installation manual says the sensor, which I believe is a PIR, is good for up to 30 feet. I have to believe there are general occupancy sensors with similar range, so do a little investigation and mount them on the ceiling. I would bet that some of the higher end ones allow you to shape the field of view, just like my combo unit does.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If I was starting from scratch I would go with low voltage sensors because you can add on as many as you need as needed anywhere you want. If it's a remodel then it would depend on how the room is wired, but with the way lighting controls are these days I'd still likely use low voltage sensors.

synchro

Occupation
EE
If this is a new installation, perhaps could you have dimmable fixtures and they would be dimmed to a minimal acceptable level unless occupancy is detected.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
These are not new fixtures. They were originally fluorescent and I retrofitted them to LED over a year ago. They are 4', six-lamp fixtures, 81 in total.
I'd rather not have to run LV cable all over that warehouse.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen T8 tubes with built-in PIR sensors.
What about swapping half the tubes out?

Half on all the time, the other half with motion. I've seen it in Grocery stores

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've seen T8 tubes with built-in PIR sensors.
What about swapping half the tubes out?

Half on all the time, the other half with motion. I've seen it in Grocery stores
Since I'm supposed to be retired, I'm hoping that they don't want my estimate or I have it high enough that I couldn't afford to not do it should they accept it!