Warning Label Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntxtrm

I am fixing to get a bunch of custom warning labels printed. I cant find the requirements? [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]NEC[/COLOR][/COLOR] References ANSI? But, I guess you have to pay 110.00 to buy it, to see the requirements? Can anybody tell me the requirements?

When is, or is it already a requirement for statement of Calories, PPE level, Energy, Ect... going to take effect?

What about conduit labeling for Voltages, direction Ect... One of my cronies says, that is fixing to happen also? I might do that anyway, it would be really beneficial. In my opinion.

iwire

Staff member
I am fixing to get a bunch of custom warning labels printed.

Warning labels for what? Arc flash?

What about conduit labeling for Voltages, direction Ect... One of my cronies says, that is fixing to happen also? I might do that anyway, it would be really beneficial. In my opinion.

Boy I hope not, in many instances building owners paint conduit.

What would you mark a conduit containing a 120 volt circuit and a 208 volt circuit 'going' one way with a 480 volt circuit going the other way?

Huntxtrm

Warning labels for what? Arc flash?

Boy I hope not, in many instances building owners paint conduit.

What would you mark a conduit containing a 120 volt circuit and a 208 volt circuit 'going' one way with a 480 volt circuit going the other way?

Yes, arc flash.

Second part sounds far fetched. That's a lot of stickers! I see your point. Where this is coming from, I'm guessing, is the practice of marking "PV Source" Circuits to keep roofers out of them?

Tony S

In chemical plants, pipes and conduits are colour coded and flow direction indicated for fluids and gases.

Which way would you indicate flow in an electrical conduit?
Would you include a circuit identifier as well as voltage on the label?

I know the European colour codes, whether they apply to the US I don’t know. They should do as it is an IS.

bphgravity

References ANSI? But, I guess you have to pay 110.00 to buy it, to see the requirements? Can anybody tell me the requirements?

NEMA is the secretariat and publisher of the (6) ANSI Z535 safety standards. I have access to all (6) and will be happy to share some details. What exact section of the NEC &/or NFPA 70E are you trying to comply with. The Z535.4 standard is applicable to product signs whereas the Z535.2 standard applies to environmental and facility signs.

General guidance is provided here: http://www.nema.org/news/Pages/Effective-Product-Safety-Labels-Your-Guide-to-Symbols.aspx

Huntxtrm

In chemical plants, pipes and conduits are colour coded and flow direction indicated for fluids and gases.

Which way would you indicate flow in an electrical conduit? From the source, to the load? Just a thought. It sounds like it would be a very cumbersome undertaking, to me.
Would you include a circuit identifier as well as voltage on the label? If it were done, I would say yes. We mark Jboxes this way already.

I know the European colour codes, whether they apply to the US I don’t know. They should do as it is an IS.

I think my buddy is confusing this with the pv marking requirement? We already do that. It is in the 2014 NEC.

Tony S

Arc flash warning labels are off the shelf items.

What are you going to apply them to?

One problem with labels and road signs, too much information. They just become a blur and no one takes any notice of them.

Place labels as and where needed, not just for the sake of it.

The when I moved in to my flat the board/panel had six different labels stuck to it. Only one conveyed useful information, the MCB circuit identifiers.
It took me ages to clean the rest off.

Huntxtrm

NEMA is the secretariat and publisher of the (6) ANSI Z535 safety standards. I have access to all (6) and will be happy to share some details. What exact section of the NEC &/or NFPA 70E are you trying to comply with. The Z535.4 standard is applicable to product signs whereas the Z535.2 standard applies to environmental and facility signs.

General guidance is provided here: http://www.nema.org/news/Pages/Effective-Product-Safety-Labels-Your-Guide-to-Symbols.aspx

Z535.4 is what the NEC is referencing for Arc Flash Standards. That would be great, if you can give me the specifics on that.

Huntxtrm

Arc flash warning labels are off the shelf items.

What are you going to apply them to? 110.16 Arc-Flash HazardWarning.
Electrical equipment,
such as switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels,
meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers, that
are in other than dwelling units, and are likely to require
examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while
energized shall be field marked to warn qualified persons of
potential electric arc flash hazards. The marking shall be
located so as to be clearly visible to qualified persons before
examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance of
the equipment.
Not trying to be a smarty pants, fastest way to say it.
One problem with labels and road signs, too much information. They just become a blur and no one takes any notice of them. I do understand that. And a lot of people don't understand them anyway.

Place labels as and where needed, not just for the sake of it. Good advice.

The when I moved in to my flat the board/panel had six different labels stuck to it. Only one conveyed useful information, the MCB circuit identifiers.
It took me ages to clean the rest off.

Good advice. "Kiss"? Keep it simple Stupid! LOL

Tony S

With the list of places they could/should? be applied, will you get the panel cover off without suffering a hernia?

Many years back our heath and safety officer had warning signs erected on the works approach road. The MD knew nothing of this so as he drove past reading the signs, he ran in to the car in front ;-)
Two guesses what happened to the signs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

That goes away with the 2017 code. The new code will likely require a full arc flash label for service equipment
110.16 Arc-Flash Hazard Warning.
(A) General.
Electrical equipment, such as switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers, that are is in other than dwelling units, and are is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized, shall be field or factory marked to warn qualified persons of potential electric arc flash hazards. The marking shall meet the
requirements in 110.21(B) and shall be located so as to be clearly visible to qualified persons before examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance of the equipment.
(B) Service Equipment.
In addition to the requirements in (A), service equipment shall contain the following information:
(1) Nominal system voltage
(2) Arc flash boundary
(3) At least one of the following:
(a) Available incident energy and the corresponding working distance
(b) Minimum arc rating of clothing
(c) Site-specific level of PPE

Informational Note No. 1: NFPA 70E -2012, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, provides guidance, such as determining severity of potential exposure, planning safe work practices, arc flash labeling, and selecting personal protective equipment.

Informational Note No. 2: ANSI Z535.4-1998, Product Safety Signs and Labels, provides guidelines for the design of safety signs and labels for application to products.

Huntxtrm

With the list of places they could/should? be applied, will you get the panel cover off without suffering a hernia?

Many years back our heath and safety officer had warning signs erected on the works approach road. The MD knew nothing of this so as he drove past reading the signs, he ran in to the car in front ;-)
Two guesses what happened to the signs.

We only apply them to the outer covers. A lot of inspectors around here look for them. And, besides I see it as a liablility issue. The way people are sue happy these days. "I wasn't properly warned!"
"So we just put them on. Maybe I worry too much.

We pay around 8 bucks a piece for them. I am getting a printing company to print them in bulk for me. They will cost me around 1.00 each. And be of the same quality. You got to save money anyway you can these days to be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.