Warning Tape ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYTRACTOR

Underground power wire? Does this need to be marked with warning tape? Heard thru a contractor that this is code . Anyone know if this has changed and underground power wire needs to be marked with warning tape.

NYTRACTOR

sorry for thw wrong name

sorry for thw wrong name

do you know if this is code. I have not seen anything to say it is code. My company installs major irrigation and this was brought to our attention today and im investigating.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Maybe I can focus longer if I quote the original question. :D

Underground power wire? Does this need to be marked with warning tape? Heard thru a contractor that this is code . Anyone know if this has changed and underground power wire needs to be marked with warning tape.
Service conductors need to be marked with underground burial tape, 300.5(D)(3). These are the conductors between the utility and the first service disconnect.

No other conductors are required to be marked, unless by local code.

And if you have any questions about burial depth, I've got a humdinger of a post deleted above. :D

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This old dog may learn a new trick this morning, but is the "tape" requirement one that is only mandatory on service conductors ?

NYTRACTOR

Thanks George. Will check with local code to see if anything has changed. Do not want to go any further with job if we need to start marking all of our power wire. Dont want to have an go back and mark 1 million feet of power wire.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Dont want to have an go back and mark 1 million feet of power wire.
I think it's worthwhile to mark everything underground, I usually do. A little belt and suspenders can't hurt. You should include the cost for marking everything on the next job, you might sleep more soundly at night. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Gus, isn't that what we've been saying? :)

Somehow I missed post #8. I think I got carried away trying to download the now defunct chart and the last post my mind registered was on irrigation wiring....
my brain is still out of service....

NYTRACTOR

That will have to be a cost that the golf course's agree upon, or the contractors. Not a bad idea to look into it. Thanks for the help saved me from having to read the NEC pdf.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
...my brain is still out of service....
LOL - ditto. :D

NYTRACTOR said:
Thanks for the help saved me from having to read the NEC pdf.
Word to the wise - don't thank NEC guys for "saving you from having to read the NEC." The forum exists to assist electricians wanting to learn more about the NEC. We're tiptoeing on the fine line of the Forum Rules by answering your question. Not breaking the rules, but not in a comfortable zone with them either.

Have a good day! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.