Was I Wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are the words continuous pipe in those sections?
There is no such language. However, I did ask the Code Assistance Unit for any further comments and this is how they replied :
RE: Electrical Inspector responses,
  1. You mentioned you positioned your service head above the POA. THAT IS CODE COMPLIANT. PERIOD. FULL STOP. I still see no requirement for it to be located within 12". If the utility has a requirement that the head be within 12", that is up to them to enforce, not the inspector. He may have been trying to be a good guy and save you the headache of having the utility refuse to energize, but that is not the job of the inspector. He maybe should have just given you a "heads up" regarding utility requirements, but not fail the job.
  2. (no comment)
3. You mentioned that you hit the "house" side of the meter, jumped over with one continuous piece, and terminated on the "street" side. Again, THAT IS CODE COMPLIANT. PERIOD. FULL STOP. I see nothing stating you must hit the "street" side first.

I do not agree with the inspector on questions #1 or #3. If you disagree with his interpretations, I suggest you ask for the paperwork to appeal his decision and go to Board of Appeals. I believe he/she is way off base and I feel that should you decide to appeal, I believe the ruling would be in your favor.
As I mentioned earlier, this is not over. I plan to write a formal letter to the EI stating what I have researched and discovered. I've already installed the porcelain insulator near the weather-head while he was inspecting so, that's not coming down. I'm in agreement with him and the State on the 2-P CB's and that's been corrected. I am not in agreement with him regarding the ground wire so, next time I go to that customer's house it's coming off and returned to its original CORRECT state. If there's any further disagreement I will write a letter to the town administrator (but I don't want to burn that bridge unless I have to).

Thanks for all your replies. :cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no such language. However, I did ask the Code Assistance Unit for any further comments and this is how they replied :

As I mentioned earlier, this is not over. I plan to write a formal letter to the EI stating what I have researched and discovered. I've already installed the porcelain insulator near the weather-head while he was inspecting so, that's not coming down. I'm in agreement with him and the State on the 2-P CB's and that's been corrected. I am not in agreement with him regarding the ground wire so, next time I go to that customer's house it's coming off and returned to its original CORRECT state. If there's any further disagreement I will write a letter to the town administrator (but I don't want to burn that bridge unless I have to).

Thanks for all your replies. :cool:
I love your tenacity. More EC's should escalate things when they get bogus violations.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I find it interesting you keep mentioning the CEU instructors. Do the AHJ's in the state of New Jersey not do in house continuing ed each year getting the needed hours for three year renewals through ICC? I go to far more CEU instruction than is required in my state and can affirm that any dick who can submit a few documents to the state could fill that role and it would be very hard to remove them from that capability as long as they submitted paperwork and payments on time.
We get to use the same CEU instructors as the EI's in many cases. However, it turns out that it seems some of them have stated their opinions but made it sound like it came from the State as gospel truth. I believe we've gotten that cleared up (at least here anyway) but there are many EC's out there in NJ who are still under the impression that you are not required to use 2-P CB's for MWBC's ON A SERVICE UPGRADE. On new construction - YES.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Regarding the water main issue we had a similar discussion here:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I love your tenacity. More EC's should escalate things when they get bogus violations.
I know I'm tooting my own horn here but I'm really a nice guy and easy to get along with (for the most part). But, like anyone else - I don't like to be told I'm wrong especially when I know I'm right. Regarding the 2-P CB's - Looks like I've been proven wrong so I will admit that and make those changes in the future. I can't remember ever failing inspection on a service upgrade. I've been in the trade since 1971. I don't claim to know everything but IMHO my service upgrades are pristine and Code compliant. Don't break my chops on picayune stuff like "not more than 12" away from the POA."

I believe I've handled this with dignity and respect and I hope it doesn't get ugly. :)

Occupation
Electrical technician
I know I'm tooting my own horn here but I'm really a nice guy and easy to get along with (for the most part). But, like anyone else - I don't like to be told I'm wrong especially when I know I'm right. Regarding the 2-P CB's - Looks like I've been proven wrong so I will admit that and make those changes in the future. I can't remember ever failing inspection on a service upgrade. I've been in the trade since 1971. I don't claim to know everything but IMHO my service upgrades are pristine and Code compliant. Don't break my chops on picayune stuff like "not more than 12" away from the POA."

I believe I've handled this with dignity and respect and I hope it doesn't get ugly. :)
I have always hit house side and than street side of Water line and agree with you 1000% on that and you should fight that violation for sure

kwired

Electron manager
I have always hit house side and than street side of Water line and agree with you 1000% on that and you should fight that violation for sure
If non broken conductor it is not a problem. Could tap all sorts of items onto the conductor if not cutting the GEC to do so, intersystem bonding bridge is one such item that is commonly connected in this manner,

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If non broken conductor it is not a problem. Could tap all sorts of items onto the conductor if not cutting the GEC to do so, intersystem bonding bridge is one such item that is commonly connected in this manner,
Are you saying the GEC to the house side of the water meter and a separate bonding jumper across the water meter is an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.