Washington Administrators License - looking for advice on study materials/approach

pwoens

Occupation
Electrical Business
Hello - was referred to this site by our owner and have been browsing since. Just signed up today and scouring the options offered here. Looking to take my Washington state Administrators exam within the next 6-9 months and hoping to gain some input/guidance from those who have previously taken it. I am particularly interested in how to best approach preparing/sudying for the exam. Additionally, any input on what published materials would be best to take with me during the exam?

Appreciate any and all input!! Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You are making a good start by participating in this forum. I have been active here for over 20 years, and have learned more than I could have from any other source.

I took the test (twice) about 23 years ago. I recall (vaguely) that I failed on my first attempt primarily because I studied from an out-of-date version of the L&I admin rules. Don't follow me down that path.

The calculation portion of the exam was easiest for me, but it can be daunting if you are not familiar with all types. Be prepared to deal with questions that have nothing to do with electricity. I (again vaguely) recall one about how to safely use a ladder that is leaning against a wall (e.g., how far the foot of the ladder should be from the wall and how far the top of the ladder should extend beyond the point at which it touches the wall).

Mike Holt's web site has many free training tools, and an internet search can lead you to many (not free) training companies. Good luck.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
You are making a good start by participating in this forum. I have been active here for over 20 years, and have learned more than I could have from any other source.

I took the test (twice) about 23 years ago. I recall (vaguely) that I failed on my first attempt primarily because I studied from an out-of-date version of the L&I admin rules. Don't follow me down that path.

The calculation portion of the exam was easiest for me, but it can be daunting if you are not familiar with all types. Be prepared to deal with questions that have nothing to do with electricity. I (again vaguely) recall one about how to safely use a ladder that is leaning against a wall (e.g., how far the foot of the ladder should be from the wall and how far the top of the ladder should extend beyond the point at which it touches the wall).

Mike Holt's web site has many free training tools, and an internet search can lead you to many (not free) training companies. Good luck.
And any question where "a painted wooden ladder" is offered as a choice, it's not the correct answer. That one got me once.

pwoens

Occupation
Electrical Business

Thanks, Charlie, appreciate the insight!!

And any question where "a painted wooden ladder" is offered as a choice, it's not the correct answer. That one got me once.

Good to know :), thank you!

The major load calculation part is what usually gives people a hard time. That part has 10 questions where typically an entire buildings load is listed and you are asked to calculate the service load. You've got to know your way around article 220 pretty well. There always seems to be a residential duplex question that no one can seem to get an answer to match (nor could I). I failed with 6 out of 10 the first time I took it, as I usually find these tests easy, usually getting somewhere around 90 without studying, so I did not study. I went over the examples in the back of the NEC and was able to pass the next time, but more examples would have been helpful. I'm not sure what publication has such examples.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I passed my admin exam the first time back when it was only given 4x a year, there was one question about a factory that was a doozy on the calcs portion. What helped is read the NEC from cover to cover.
1. The Mike Holt exam prep material is the best, per Mike do 10-20 hours per week and 100 questions
2. Get the PSI exam candidate material, get the correct RCW/WAC with all the updates (legislative version I think it is called)
3. Its open book so you will want the NEC, and a firms finder or uglys
4. I suspect that the monthly questions in the Currents "question of the month" come from the exam. Study those
5. Washington is getting ready to change the test to the 2023 version of the NEC, watch the currents and know when that is. But the questions don't change much from cycle to cycle.
6, Mike Holts exam prep questions may be close to whats on the PSI exam (many years ago I asked Mike to donate his test bank question to L&I which he did).
7. L&I removed the exam content section from the WACs during the last revision. If you have an old copy of the WAC that info was useful
8. Example questions in the back of the NEC as Electrofelon pointed out, are usefull
Are you taking the general administrator or specialty? If specialty know the scope of work allowed in 296-46B 920. For 02 (residential), do you understand why there are questions on hazardous locations?

You will be tested on what your scope of work is, not what you do on the job. Its a 70% passing, not a very high bar. Oregon is 75%. First time passing average score on 02 is 22% , which is not encouraging for our trade. First time passing average for Journeylevel is 55%

JoeNorm

My advice is to take a 3-day in person course specifically tailored to this test close to the date you plan to take it. CITC offers this in Bellevue. You will go over all the load calc stuff you'll need to pass.

Also use a Key Word index for the code portion. It speeds things up a lot.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
That’s very good advice on the exam prep class, that was not available when I tested
Also you take the test and only have to retake what you don’t pass. If you do this you will see where you need to study

pwoens

Occupation
Electrical Business
My advice is to take a 3-day in person course specifically tailored to this test close to the date you plan to take it. CITC offers this in Bellevue. You will go over all the load calc stuff you'll need to pass.

Also use a Key Word index for the code portion. It speeds things up a lot.
Awesome advice, thank you!

I connected with CITC and its now a 4 day course, but only $675, which is SUPER cheap. Wish they had one on the east side of the state :)

Paul_Briganti

Washington Electrical CEU, LLC
Occupation
Educator / VP Electrical Apprenticeship ABC Western Washington
Currently, the 2020 NEC - this edition is good at least until early 2025
I would tab it; my favorite tab kit is E-Z Tabs
Tom Henry's Keyword Index
Ugly's Electrical Reference
Texas Instrument TI-30XA calculator
Current copy of the RCW/WAC documents: you must download these from LNI's website and can no longer purchase them from the state.
Key Term Index for The RCW / WAC by Paul Briganti

The above items are the minimum you would want to study with and take into your exam.

From your starting point, my minimum recommendations

One hour a day, three days a week. It does not matter what you study; just be in your materials
Read article 90 at least once a week - there is always one question from the article; you might as well get it right.
Read the "bolded" terms in the index at least once a week. [It will take you about an hour or so] Doing so will get you in touch with "code terms" and not industry terms. The test can be on both; you should know both.

About three weeks out from your test, two hours a day, five days a week. This is not the same as spending 10 hours watching your favorite sport on Sunday. Little bits of information over a long period of time will yield the best results.

Additionally, in regards to time spent studying. Based on brain science, the magic amount of study time is 22 minutes, then take a break. We remember best the information we start with and the information we finish with. You will retain more information by breaking down your study sessions.

This is the same monolog I preach to all of my students, honestly, the students who do what I tell them to do pass, the ones who don't fail.

Best of luck, you can do this; many folks have.

You are welcome to reach out to me should you have any questions.

Paul

Paul_Briganti

Washington Electrical CEU, LLC
Occupation
Educator / VP Electrical Apprenticeship ABC Western Washington
Please note that Tom Henry's, Dewalt's, and Mike Holts's load calc examples tell you to go with the HVAC for your largest motor. The 25% you are looking to add for this load comes from the "appliance loads" within the question. Do not use the dishwasher it is a combination appliance, combination appliances to not count, only actual motor loads. This may only be relevant to Washington State; however, it is how you will pass your exam.

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Took and passed this exam today. Came across this post the other night when I was looking for more information on areas to focus my studying on. The NEC portion was pretty straightforward, should be no problem if you passed an 01 journeyman exam. The WAC/RCW section focused mostly on the rules regarding who is certified to do what, appeals, and permitting. Very little focus on the actual amendments to the NEC.

I guess they restructured the test so the calcs were first followed by NEC and then when you’re good and tired the WAC/RCW.

I tried to smuggle out (civil violation to do so see in WAC, edit by moderator) some scratch paper with a sample question on it but didn’t make it so I’ll do my best to recreate one from memory
(edit to remove question as they are copyrighted and is a civil violation to reproduce. Some instructors would pay students to take test and memorize questions)
Probably forgot something but that should give you a pretty good idea what you are up against.

Last edited by a moderator:
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Took and passed this exam today. Came across this post the other night when I was looking for more information on areas to focus my studying on. The NEC portion was pretty straightforward, should be no problem if you passed an 01 journeyman exam. The WAC/RCW section focused mostly on the rules regarding who is certified to do what, appeals, and permitting. Very little focus on the actual amendments to the NEC.

I guess they restructured the test so the calcs were first followed by NEC and then when you’re good and tired the WAC/RCW.

I tried to smuggle out (civil violation to do so see in WAC, edit by moderator) some scratch paper with a sample question on it but didn’t make it so I’ll do my best to recreate one from memory
(edit to remove question as they are copyrighted and is a civil violation to reproduce. Some instructors would pay students to take test and memorize questions)
Probably forgot something but that should give you a pretty good idea what you are up against.
Whoops my bad. It definitely wasn’t word for word but thanks for editing. Just trying to help a dude out.