Washington state exam??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeAlbie

Occupation
Union electrician
Hello fellow sparkles!! I currently live in the greater LOS ANGELES area, I am moving to Washington in about a year? I am just curious as to what your state test is like? Is it open book? I read somewhere where it was 180 minutes closed book. What is the wac/rcw? Where can I obtain this books, I will be searching online, call the local union hall, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For Journeylevel exam, you will need to have 96 hours of basic classroom training, or documentation of successful completion of an electrical apprenticeship program.
Its a open book test, can take any copyrighted text with you and print a copy of the RCW/WAC from the state electrical website (L&I) https://lni.wa.gov/licensing-permits/electrical/laws-rules-policies
RCW 19.28 are the electrical laws, and 296-46B are the rules, the RWC has the what and the WAC has the how. A new version of the WAC goes into effect July 1, 2020.
Washington will be adopting the 2020 NEC July 1, 2020, and so testing on the 2020 will probably start about July 1 2020.
Subscribe to the L&I electrical currents when you can, its our monthly newsletter. There is a question of the month, and I suspect these questions are the same as on the electrical exam...so I would go back and review back questions
Information on testing from out of state https://lni.wa.gov/forms-publications/F626-009-000.pdf

PSI is the testing agency and there is some good info there. You can test and get your certification before you move to Washington.

Depending on where your knowledge is, I would suggest studying 10-20 hours a week and do around 100 practice questions, Mike Holts Exam Prep is the best for you

TeeAlbie

Occupation
Union electrician
Thank you Tom, I really appreciate the time you took while writing your reply! The information you’ve provided is what i needed. Enjoy your Easter, and stay safe brother!!

For Journeylevel exam, you will need to have 96 hours of basic classroom training, or documentation of successful completion of an electrical apprenticeship program.
Its a open book test, can take any copyrighted text with you and print a copy of the RCW/WAC from the state electrical website (L&I) https://lni.wa.gov/licensing-permits/electrical/laws-rules-policies
RCW 19.28 are the electrical laws, and 296-46B are the rules, the RWC has the what and the WAC has the how. A new version of the WAC goes into effect July 1, 2020.
Washington will be adopting the 2020 NEC July 1, 2020, and so testing on the 2020 will probably start about July 1 2020.
Subscribe to the L&I electrical currents when you can, its our monthly newsletter. There is a question of the month, and I suspect these questions are the same as on the electrical exam...so I would go back and review back questions
Information on testing from out of state https://lni.wa.gov/forms-publications/F626-009-000.pdf

PSI is the testing agency and there is some good info there. You can test and get your certification before you move to Washington.

Depending on where your knowledge is, I would suggest studying 10-20 hours a week and do around 100 practice questions, Mike Holts Exam Prep is the best for you
Two things I would add to Tom's response. First, WA did just delay the 2020 adoption until Nov.

Also do you intend to work for someone or work for yourself? If the latter, you will need to take the administrator exam (or have someone who is assigned to your business.)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Two things I would add to Tom's response. First, WA did just delay the 2020 adoption until Nov.

Also do you intend to work for someone or work for yourself? If the latter, you will need to take the administrator exam (or have someone who is assigned to your business.)
I may of missed WA adopting the 2020 in Nov, where was that announced?

I may of missed WA adopting the 2020 in Nov, where was that announced?
I got it in an email from DCI.

(Originally published in the Washington Association of Building Officials newsletter.)
WABO and BIAW officially requested Governor Inslee to delay, by Executive Order, the implementation of the coming new Washington State building codes in RCW 19.27.031 and RCW 19.27A.020, set to take effect July 1, 2020, for 123 days or until November 1, 2020. A short delay would provide both builders and code enforcement officials the time necessary to make up the education needed before the new regulations take effect.

WABO has just received the Governor's official proclamation where he has suspended the codes current effective dates of July 1, 2020, until November 1, 2020. The WABO office will continue to monitor the Governor's response to COVID-19 and be sure to send out updates when they occur.

I am assuming the NEC is referenced in the quoted RCW section, but I did not confirm.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Its still on track to adopt July 2020. Washington will probably stay on 2017 NEC questions until July 2021
This would be discussed in the currents newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.