Washington state-High efficacy and high efficiency lighting requirement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part 77

My work was in industrial settings when I was in the work force; it's been 12 years since I wired my own home, so I am not current with new residential lighting requirements.
A family member is building a new house. His blue print calls for all ex. lighting to be high efficiency and 75% min. of indoor lighting to be the same (in another note it says "all ex. and 75% min. of indoor lighting" must be high efficacy). He wants to install recessed lighting, which I assume has to be ICAT as a "whole house air leakage test" is required.
We are in WA state. The fixtures are required to meet "E-404.1"
What is the difference in efficacy and efficiency?
Are these can lights non-medium base sockets to prevent use of old style incandescent bulbs? Can medium based socket fixtures with LED lamps suffice?
He wants approx. 50 can lights. What is recommended to meet the requirements and not going to break the bank on lighting?
TIA

Last edited:

bphgravity

Per Section 404.1 of the IECC:

R404.1 Lighting equipment (Mandatory). Not less than 75 percent of the lamps in permanently installed lighting fixtures shall be high-efficacy lamps or not less than 75 percent of the permanently installed lighting fixtures shall contain only high-efficacy lamps.

Exception: Low-voltage lighting.

Per Section 202 of the IECC:

HIGH-EFFICACY LAMPS. Compact fluorescent lamps, T-8 or smaller diameter linear fluorescent lamps, or lamps with a minimum efficacy of:
1. 60 lumens per watt for lamps over 40 watts;
2. 50 lumens per watt for lamps over 15 watts to 40 watts;
and
3. 40 lumens per watt for lamps 15 watts or less.

I would advise that you consult the local AHJ to see if they will allow high-efficacy lamps to be installed in luminaires that permit the installation of low-efficacy lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.