Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
is there such a thing as a wrong anode?

is there such a thing as a wrong anode?

A few years ago there was a lot of talk at our local plumbing (and electrical) supply house about a problem batch of water heaters. The countermen said that they got a shipment intended for a different state that had different anodes for the differences in the water between here and there. Everyone that got one of these had trouble with it.

I don't know how true this is, although I was talking to the guys that would have been exchanging bad for good. Also don't know if it could apply to this problem.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would take the rod to wherever the water heater came from and ask for one that won't do this every three months.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
So now it has been over a month, the water was lab tested and the results show it is not the water supply ( high PH, and the only other elements in the water are from the anode and copper pipes )
The anodes have been changed 4 separate times and the type of anode changed to see if that would help. In 3 days the anodes show pitting.
The POCO came out and changed the service drop, checked the lines throughout the neighbor hood, back to the transformer, and put a test meter on for a week to see if there was a neutral problem, not on the utility side.
To see if there is a current being picked up from the water service, we put a PVC underground supply up to the house.
The problem still exists.

I did not wire this house so I can not know how every thing was done, but I do know the job was a complete rewire.

Now I am having a radical thought. It is not un-common for the romex and the water lines to run in close parallel (in walls, under the floor, or in the attic) It is also common to bring multiple circuits into the same boxes ( mainly switch boxes) lights fed from differing circuits,3ways and 4ways, etc. If the neutrals of these circuits are not kept separate it will create an alternate path back to the panel ( not un-common to find all the neutrals tied together under on wire nut in a switch box) If all the conductors of a circuit are not kept together you will create a magnetic field.
So now I am thinking could a conductor be "inducing a voltage" onto a water line in the house? This could be intermittent and minor, but it would find its way through the water heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.