water heater breaker size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
My customer just installed a 36 gal water heater. The label says upper and lower elements are both 4500 w. But it says "total watts connected : 4500 watts" I've always wondered how two 4500 w elements can be only 4500 w connected, I obviously don't understand how they work. ( I always install a 30 amp breaker and #10 wire. ) The existing circuit was #12 wire on a 20 amp breaker. I replaced the #12 with #10. But when I divide 4500 by 240 v, I get 18.75 amps. So is the 20 amp breaker ok ? Thank you !!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are two elements but only one will be on at a time so the maximum load will be 4500 watts. This is considered a continuous load so:
4500/240*125%=23.4 amps. With NM cable #10 conductors on a 25 or 30 amp OCPD will work. With MC #12 on a 25 amp will also work.*

Disregard this part as it's incorrect. :oops:

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are two elements but only one will be on at a time so the maximum load will be 4500 watts. This is considered a continuous load so:
4500/240*125%=23.4 amps. With NM cable #10 conductors on a 25 or 30 amp OCPD will work. With MC #12 on a 25 amp will also work.

How does #12 work on a 25 amp breaker?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You still can't use 75C #12 on 25 overcurrent protective device unless it is mentioned in 240.4(G). Did I miss it

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How does #12 work on a 25 amp breaker?

You still can't use 75C #12 on 25 overcurrent protective device unless it is mentioned in 240.4(G). Did I miss it

You're right it doesn't, I was thinking of a motor load with 75° C terminals on both ends. I added a disclaimer as not to confuse someone with my stupidity. :oops:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thank you !

Here is a diagram. You can see the top t-stat is a spdt t-stat. Once the upper part of the tank is satisfied then the lower half can come on if it needs it. If the tank water gets cold at the top it will shut off the bottom power and turn the top element back on

1596149492299.jpeg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You're right it doesn't, I was thinking of a motor load with 75° C terminals on both ends. I added a disclaimer as not to confuse someone with my stupidity. :oops:

No problem... I have done the same many times. I had to double check because I know you are usually correct so I thought I missed something

Stephen111

Occupation
Worker
Most electric heaters need a 240-volt dedicated circuit; This circuit includes a 30-amp two-pole breaker with a 10-2 non-metallic cable or metal-clad cable. A perfect breaker size should be proportionate to the electrical specifications of your water heater.

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
Here is a diagram. You can see the top t-stat is a spdt t-stat. Once the upper part of the tank is satisfied then the lower half can come on if it needs it. If the tank water gets cold at the top it will shut off the bottom power and turn the top element back on

View attachment 2553099
What happens if you disconnect the lower element from the upper one and feed it with it's own circuit? Does it heat up faster or cause problems?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If you do the calcs a water heater would have a 25 Amp breaker. Our state electrical rules allow a 30 amp for a water heater.
Table 220.3 calls 422.11(E) for water heater OCP

20A, 25A, or 30A OCP on #10 wire meets that requirement.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What happens if you disconnect the lower element from the upper one and feed it with it's own circuit? Does it heat up faster or cause problems?
Sure it would heat up faster if both elements came on together but you will be drawing twice the load and it would be illegal . Can you image the demand on the power company if all water heaters used 9000 watts instead of 4500 watts.

kwired

Electron manager
Sure it would heat up faster if both elements came on together but you will be drawing twice the load and it would be illegal . Can you image the demand on the power company if all water heaters used 9000 watts instead of 4500 watts.
Would run less time though.

On demand water heaters can give POCO higher instantaneous demands as well, though would be somewhat less kWhrs over longer time periods.

kwired

Electron manager
Conventional WH heats upper portion of tank when it is below upper stat set point. This partly because water in top of tank is first water to be used.

Once upper stat is satisfied lower element takes over. Still going to be some additional rise in temp at top of tank though.

Lower element does the majority of the heating, upper one only comes on if you using larger volume of water and water in top of tank cools enough for it to turn on again.

Malfunction can disrupt this described operation, often causing less hot water reserve or if upper element fails and top of tank cools enough, you will have no hot water at all even though the lower element is in working condition.

kwired

Electron manager
If you do the calcs a water heater would have a 25 Amp breaker. Our state electrical rules allow a 30 amp for a water heater.
No need for a state rule of 30 amps, 422.11(E)(3) allows a 4500 watt 240 volt water heater to be protected by a 30 amp breaker.

Jump to 6000 watts and 30 amp breaker generally does hold, but since this is supposed to be considered a continuous load you need more than 10 AWG and min of 35 amp breaker - though it can also be on as much as 40 amp breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
No need for a state rule of 30 amps, 422.11(E)(3) allows a 4500 watt 240 volt water heater to be protected by a 30 amp breaker.

Absolutely. We used to be required to have a 25 amp breaker but I am wondering if there was a rule change to allow overcurrent protective device at 150% and allowing next size up rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.