water heater disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
bob j said:
I didn't think an instant hot water heater fell under the heading of continuous load, because it isn't a storage type heater.422.13:confused:

I believe that is what infinite is pointing out. :smile:

220/221

Let's see how many other examples of when we've needed single 40's we can come up with in this thread.

The 15 tripped so I changed it to a 20, then a 30...which still tripped.

The 40 seemed to fix it but I put in a 50 just to be safe.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
infinity said:
How does the 1.25 factor come into this calculation? Are you considering an insta-hot a continuous load?

Trevor I was looking at art. 412.13-- tell me what you think. This is 2008 NEC

422.13 Storage-Type Water Heaters.
A fixed storage-type water heater that has a capacity of 450 L (120 gal) or less shall be considered a continuous load for the purposes of sizing branch circuits.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
I was looking at art. 412.13-- tell me what you think. This is 2008 NEC

A fixed storage-type water heater that has a capacity of 450 L (120 gal) or less shall be considered a continuous load for the purposes of sizing branch circuits.

bob j said:
I'm wiring an instant hot type of water heater.

Instant hot types are not storage type. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
iwire said:
Instant hot types are not storage type. :)
Well I guess I am wrong...:grin:. I thought there was some storage in an instant hot. Seems ridiculous to add 125% but I thought it was necessary. I guess I will stand corrected. Regular 60 gal tanks don't appear to be continuous either....oh well.

iwire

Staff member
peter d said:
Let's see how many other examples of when we've needed single 40's we can come up with in this thread.

I needed a single pole 50 for a National Weather Service job.

We relocated the Logan airport NWS office and at the time (about 1984) they where still using 'Main Frame' computers.

The lead unit was a 'Ford Aerospace' computer, it was odd to see the big blue oval on a computer. This unit needed a 50 amp 120 circuit. I followed it inside the box and it just divided out to a bunch of duplex receptacles. :roll:

M. D.

Quote:
Dennis said:
.....Regular 60 gal tanks don't appear to be continuous either....oh well.

Dennis, isn't 60 gals. storage of water :confused:

mdshunk

Pictorial example of a field-installed point of use water heater disconnect:

eemax2.jpg

eemax1.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
M. D. said:
Quote:
Dennis, isn't 60 gals. storage of water :confused:

Yes according to the code it shall be considered continuous. What I was saying is that a water heater in a home is never on for 3 hours or more. I guess it is possible but highly unlikely.

sparky59

Dennis Alwon said:
Yes according to the code it shall be considered continuous. What I was saying is that a water heater in a home is never on for 3 hours or more. I guess it is possible but highly unlikely.

apparently you don't have 3 girls at your house.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Pictorial example of a field-installed point of use water heater disconnect:

Weird. We always hardwired those, and use a heavy duty toggle switch or an EXO disconnect (properly sized of course.)

This is kind of amusing - I frequently shop at a HD that the construction division of my past employer wired, and just for giggles I look under the sink and there are a few of those EEmax things under there, without disconnects. They just flew the MC into it and called it a day.

mdshunk

peter d said:
Weird. We always hardwired those, and use a heavy duty toggle switch or an EXO disconnect (properly sized of course.).
I do it that way too. I'm not even sure the picture squares 100% with the code, but nothing to get especially excited about. It was work I lost, and I was there the other day (ice cream store), so I took a cell phone pic.

peter d

FWIW, those EEmax heaters are really lame. You have to keep the faucet opened practically to a trickle to get any decent hot water out of them.

mdshunk

peter d said:
FWIW, those EEmax heaters are really lame. You have to keep the faucet opened practically to a trickle to get any decent hot water out of them.
Depends on how their sized. I've got one on the hand washing sink at the shop in that brand that kicks butt. You can fill up a bucket of steaming hot mop water with it. The one pictured is the one typically used on hand washing sinks, and you're right; they suck.

quogueelectric

Dennis Alwon said:
Well I guess I am wrong...:grin:. I thought there was some storage in an instant hot. Seems ridiculous to add 125% but I thought it was necessary. I guess I will stand corrected. Regular 60 gal tanks don't appear to be continuous either....oh well.
Hold on a minute what if you ran the water for a really long time like you had to give a cow a bath or something and the plumbing leaked?? That could be continuous.

peter d

quogueelectric said:
Hold on a minute what if you ran the water for a really long time like you had to give a cow a bath or something and the plumbing leaked?? That could be continuous.

Good point....but I think at the slaughterhou.......errrr.....those places where meat comes from, they use big oil or gas heaters. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.