Water Heater OCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Ok, but im still at a lost here, if they circuit/wire is big enough lets say just for fun a #10, then why would a 30 amp ocp NOT be allowed??

I would say it is arguable, there is no 25 a rated conductor so you have to go to a 30 a rated conductor, but you are not allowed over 150% of the amp rating of the appliance and 25 amp is a standard size breaker. The load at 125% is 20.3 amp would you bust is chops if he had used 20 amp breakers on the circuit ?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I would say it is arguable, there is no 25 a rated conductor so you have to go to a 30 a rated conductor, but you are not allowed over 150% of the amp rating of the appliance and 25 amp is a standard size breaker. The load at 125% is 20.3 amp would you bust is chops if he had used 20 amp breakers on the circuit ?

I will re-ask the question, if the rating at 125%is 20.3 amps would anyone here have a problem with a 20 amp OCP on the circuit ? Less then a 1/3 of an amp seems insignificant. It works out to be about 123% of the load.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I will re-ask the question, if the rating at 125%is 20.3 amps would anyone here have a problem with a 20 amp OCP on the circuit ? Less then a 1/3 of an amp seems insignificant. It works out to be about 123% of the load.

Even though in the real world it likely won't matter, does the code permit this?

ivsenroute

If the manufacturer of the breaker specified for that particular panel did not have a 25 A breaker then a 30A would be both required and the maximum.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
220.5?...........

This is what came to mind when I asked the question,
(B) Fractions of an Ampere. Where calculations result in a fraction of an ampere that is less than 0.5, such fractions shall be permitted to be dropped.
My first thought was that it only applies when doing load calcs. but the article doesn't say "for purposes of this article only" or any other statement like that. And when doing a load calc for other loading it has a direct effect on what size breaker goes in, so why couldn't you drop the .3 of an ampere when figuring the OCP size and go to a 20 ampere breaker?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is what came to mind when I asked the question,
(B) Fractions of an Ampere. Where calculations result in a fraction of an ampere that is less than 0.5, such fractions shall be permitted to be dropped.
My first thought was that it only applies when doing load calcs. but the article doesn't say "for purposes of this article only" or any other statement like that. And when doing a load calc for other loading it has a direct effect on what size breaker goes in, so why couldn't you drop the .3 of an ampere when figuring the OCP size and go to a 20 ampere breaker?

Based on what you've posted it sounds like you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.