Water heaters near electrical panel.

Mpaul

New User
Occupation
Electrician
What is the requirement for conduit fittings near and into a water heater? I know a water heater is considered an appliance but had an inspector say its a water source and everything in the area had to be liquid tight or water proof. I cant find a code that points in one direction or another, but ive seen way more shady set ups in the past.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

He's wrong. Look for the definition of wet locations.

Don't be afraid to respectfully climb the food chain.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Do you have access to the installation instructions?

(B) Installation and Use
Equipment that is listed, labeled, or both shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

kwired

Electron manager
What is the requirement for conduit fittings near and into a water heater? I know a water heater is considered an appliance but had an inspector say its a water source and everything in the area had to be liquid tight or water proof. I cant find a code that points in one direction or another, but ive seen way more shady set ups in the past.
This sort of like saying everything in vicinity of gas piping needs to comply with the hazardous location articles.

In normal operation this is likely a dry location.

Dry locations are allowed to get wet in abnormal conditions. If it were expected to regularly be wet then it would be considered a wet location.

I'd also guess the cover for wiring compartment on this water heater is not watertight either making it pointless to require a water tight wiring method to connect to it.

herding_cats

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Inspector is an idiot. Sounds like the "inspector" in Eudora Kansas that told me I needed to ground each metal staple on Romex for residential new construction. Fun.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Even "IF" you were to do all water tight fittings and wiring method the Tank wiring point will NEVER be water tight. The wiring access covers made by mfg Will leak "in" water in event of a water line break, seen many times. Inspector wants something that cannot be provided within the listed appliance limitations, he might need to be trained again on even the code definitions.

OP's thread title refers to water heater near the electrical panel, If this is the case the only requirement is that the working space and dedicated space, and egress requirements are adhered to. Best practice would be to keep it as far away from panel as possible while keeping to the minimum requirement already stated.