Water infiltration into building via underground conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Pickle

Occupation
Electrical
Wondering if anyone has experienced water leaking into a building through underground conduit. In one example, there is a handhole out on the site which fills with some water. Well the contractor installed the conduit flush with the bottom of the handhole and thus the water drains through the conduit into the service cabinet inside the building.

How does one fix this, and is there a code article on this which would address this scenario?

Mr. Pickle

Occupation
Electrical
230.53 for service and 225.22 & 225.27 indicates the ducts should be arranged to drain and they should be sealed

Thanks for the reply Ron. I notice these code articles just say "drain" but they don't specify which direction they should drain too. Thoughts?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are some expanding foams that can be used at both ends of the conduit. Can you install a 90 at the manhole-- that may help

Nuber

State Certified Practitioner of Electrical Arts
Occupation
Master Electrician
300.5(G)

Raceway Seals. Conduits or raceways through which moisture may contact live parts shall be sealed or plugged at either or both ends. Spare or unused raceways shall also be sealed. Sealants shall be identified for use with the cable insulation, conductor insulation, bare conductor, shield, or other components.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We have used some type of potting compound for underwater lights to seal conduits in the past

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Is the handhole installed on top of some gravel? Quazite box installation instructions require or suggest the gravel bed to drain water.

Also, gasketed handhole covers will reduce the amount of water coming in to the handhole, but not eliminate it.

But I guess if the handhole is in a low area, I guess water will come up into it from below no matter what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.