Water line clearences from electrical equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The healthcare facility I work at is looking to install a cold water make up line within 24" in front of a transfer switch and about 24" above. This didn't look right so I questioned it. I can't find anything directly related to water piping clearences above yet in front of electrical equipment in the 2008 code book. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

Attachments

• ATS1 Gen 1.jpg
    ATS1 Gen 1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The healthcare facility I work at is looking to install a cold water make up line within 24" in front of a transfer switch and about 24" above. This didn't look right so I questioned it. I can't find anything directly related to water piping clearences above yet in front of electrical equipment in the 2008 code book. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

This segways in to my question that I will post in a new thread section 110.26 is the code that deals with all aspects of this issue. Since your description doesn't put the pipe in the "dedicated equipment space" as described in 110.26(F) then your only concern is that is isn't in the headroom as described in 110.26(E). From the picture, I would say that the LB previously installed is a violation of 110.26(A) (1) though.

The code doesn't prevent you from providing an additional layer of protection by guarding the transfer switch from a potential burst pipe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.