Water Main

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnME

I have a 2" plastic water pipe entering a commercial building from under slab. Obviously they will convert to metal for the meter hookup, do I need to bond the water main even though it is plastic? Bond both sides of the meter is what I mean. I have a fairly good run from my gear to my water pipe, so you all know the answer I want probably isnt going to be the right one!

mdshunk

If the water line enters as plastic, then you can just bond the water line where ever it is convenient for you to do so. I sure wouldn't go to any special effort to put a jumper around the water meter just to bond a little nipple on the feed side unless someone made me. Those 2" water bond clamps are expensive.

JohnME

Your right on- I wouldnt bond both sides of the meter if the incoming was plastic. I was hoping the option would be to bond a pipe anywhere, still, I think I will call the inspector to just make sure.

mdshunk

JohnME said:
I was hoping the option would be to bond a pipe anywhere, still, I think I will call the inspector to just make sure.
You only have to hit that water line within the first 5 feet if it's being used as a grounding electrode. Since it's not, you can hit it anywhere that pleases you most.

220/221

You been having a problem with your guys bonding water lines in places they couldn't get at to bond it?

I've had it turned down because it was not going to accessible after drywall (he actually said "what if it comes loose?") and I've had inspectors who wouldn't climb into an attic.

If it is right by an access and I leave a ladder there, it will pass.

stickboy1375

JohnME said:
I have a 2" plastic water pipe entering a commercial building from under slab. Obviously they will convert to metal for the meter hookup, do I need to bond the water main even though it is plastic? Bond both sides of the meter is what I mean. I have a fairly good run from my gear to my water pipe, so you all know the answer I want probably isnt going to be the right one!

Is the water piping in the building plastic or metal?

haskindm

JohnME said:
So, do I need to ground the pipes afterall?

You need to bond the metal waterline unless it is being used as a grounding electrode. Then it will be bonded as an indirect result of being used as an electrode. If the waterlines inside the building are plastic, there is nothing to which to bond.

jinglis

What if the majority of the building is piped with plastic but they use small sections of copper above the ceilings. If there is more than one section of copper and they are isolated from each other by plastic do you need to bond all of the sections of copper?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
jinglis said:
What if the majority of the building is piped with plastic but they use small sections of copper above the ceilings. If there is more than one section of copper and they are isolated from each other by plastic do you need to bond all of the sections of copper?

Isolated sections do not require bonding. The requirement is to bond metallic water pipe systems. Isolated sections of pipe do not constitute a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.