water pipe ground on exterior of house

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipHopHead

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Im doing a 200a 2 family service with disconnects outside by service. In order to save sheet rock is it ok to run #4 insulated single conductor outside strapped to building for water meter ground or would it need to be in conduit. It will not be subject to physical damage.

Thanks in advance

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Imo, you would be fine with #4 run on the exterior. The NEC allows it and it appears it is not subject to damage so it should be fine

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The subject to physical damage rule is a subjective rule. Only your inspector can tell you it the GEC is subject to physical damage. Based on your post, it is my opinion that it is not subject to physical damage, but my opinion does not count.

kwired

Electron manager
Washington code rules would not allow this. GEC has to be in PVC conduit to 12" below grade.
OP isn't necessarily running it to an underground location.

And what is their justification for this? I bet #4 copper can take more physical abuse than the PVC conduit can. Seen many installs of 6 AWG GEC's that were exposed that lasted 60-80 years and some that did not. Those that did not probably wouldn't have lasted if in PVC either.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The NEC used to say a #4 GEC was good exposed unless subject to severe physical damage. In some code version, that was removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.