Water shut off valve and Water heater disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Is there a distance needed to be kept from the water pipes when placing a water heater disconnect. Usually I keep it 2 to 3 feet to the side, but im confined in area and have only one place to put the disconnect. That is directly under the water lines going to the heater. Thanks

cpal

Re: Water shut off valve and Water heater disconnect.

Reference 110.26 for work space

Charlie

pierre

In order to use the "lockout" as per 422.31(B), the device is not the typical "lockout" type such as used for working on a circuit during routine maintenance.
The lock out mechanism has to be permanently mounted to the panel.
The hot water heater will require a disconnect within sight from the hot water heater

cpal

pierre

Are saying that a permanent lock is not capable of being installed on a load center ??

Charlie

pierre

Charlie
No that is not what I was trying to say. What I meant (poorly explained the first time - let me see if I can get it better this time) was the "lockout' type device used during maintenance or construction to safe off a circuit is not the permitted method.
Mounting a locking type device to the panel cover is permitted.

cpal

pierre

Thanks I agree but the requirement to be attached to the cover is not spelled out in the paragraph as I read it! "The device remain in place with or with out the lock installed".

What do you think??

Is anyone aware of a product that will fulfill this requirement and not mounted to a panel cover or trim???

Charlie

aelectricalman

Thanks guys,

110.26 does not directly say anything about water pipes and shut off valves. Should it, does it? Am I overlooking this. As for the work space, there is plenty of room to access the disconnect, but its just very close to the feed thru water pipes leading to the water heater. Thanks again for any help.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

cpal,

The breakerlocks for Siemens breakers fit snug over the breaker with the panel off, then putting the panel cover on "secures" it in. Pretty cheesy, but it works. It complies with 422.31(B). :)

izak

would it be illegal to put a cord and plug (such as a 30 amp dryer cord) on a water heater? i have seen it done a couple times...
or are we talking about something larger than a residential water heater?

charlie

422.16 prohibits a flexible cord unless the appliance is designed for a flexible cord. In other words, ya cant doit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.